Letter of Rec: Trying to decide b/t three people

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mocheeka

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
{{{RESOLVED}}}

Hi all,

I plan on applying to University of Texas - Austin, University of Houston, and Texas Tech.

(Skip ahead to read about the issue directly)
I have chosen two people for asking for recs from already:
1. Assistant Director of Pharmacy Pharmacist for psychiatric hospital who is also an adjunct professor for the University of Texas - Austin's College of Pharmacy (I volunteered with her once a week during the Spring '14 semester. Filed papers. Prepared the pharmacy newsletter. Edited drug monogram. Updated Drug Monitoring Guide for the docs to use.)
2. University of Texas - Austin Genetics Honors Professor (I met with her weekly to discuss my goals, ideas, personal life, etc. We're definitely very close for a student-professor relationship.)

(ISSUE)
HOWEVER, I am torn between two people:
1. Pharmacy Technician Supervisor for psychiatric hospital (I volunteered for her 1-2 days a week during the Spring '14 semester. She taught me everything there is to know about how what pharmacy techs do at the hospital. Really took me under her wing and is super sweet. Helped her with a bridal shower for one of our pharmacists. We make chit-chat.)
2. Assistant Professor at University of Texas - San Antonio (He is the fiance of the pharmacist whom we threw a bridal shower for. He really appreciated my help and taking pictures. Told my pharmtech supervisor that he'd be willing to provide a letter of rec. Told her he thought I was sweet.)
3. Assistant Professor at University of Texas - Austin (She is an advisor for the pre-pharmacy organization I am historian of. I hope to get to know her better as I fulfill my duties as historian this fall before interviews.)

My dilemma is... on one hand, my supervisor is super sweet and has overlooked all my pharmtech work and could talk about my duties and how well I do. On the other hand, the assistant prof at UTSA has that title and association to the University of Texas. A friend suggested that I email the prof and let him get to know me that way and ask for a rec after. But I'm still torn, since he hasn't really... seen me do anything but take pictures of him and his bride-to-be. Lastly, the proff at UTA doesn't know me very well as of right now. I could ask her for a rec before applications are due after I've done some work, but I'm not sure if submitting my app late would hinder my chances at getting accepted.

Any opinions would be deeply appreciated!!! Thank you!

(((Also, if you have extra time, please let me know what my chances are of getting in.)))

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I plan on applying to University of Texas - Austin, University of Houston, and Texas Tech.

(Skip ahead to read about the issue directly)
I have chosen two people for asking for recs from already:
1. Assistant Director of Pharmacy Pharmacist for psychiatric hospital who is also an adjunct professor for the University of Texas - Austin's College of Pharmacy (I volunteered with her once a week during the Spring '14 semester. Filed papers. Prepared the pharmacy newsletter. Edited drug monogram. Updated Drug Monitoring Guide for the docs to use.)
2. University of Texas - Austin Genetics Honors Professor (I met with her weekly to discuss my goals, ideas, personal life, etc. We're definitely very close for a student-professor relationship.)

(ISSUE)
HOWEVER, I am torn between two people:
1. Pharmacy Technician Supervisor for psychiatric hospital (I volunteered for her 1-2 days a week during the Spring '14 semester. She taught me everything there is to know about how what pharmacy techs do at the hospital. Really took me under her wing and is super sweet. Helped her with a bridal shower for one of our pharmacists. We make chit-chat.)
2. Assistant Professor at University of Texas - San Antonio (He is the fiance of the pharmacist whom we threw a bridal shower for. He really appreciated my help and taking pictures. Told my pharmtech supervisor that he'd be willing to provide a letter of rec. Told her he thought I was sweet.)
3. Assistant Professor at University of Texas - Austin (She is an advisor for the pre-pharmacy organization I am historian of. I hope to get to know her better as I fulfill my duties as historian this fall before interviews.)

My dilemma is... on one hand, my supervisor is super sweet and has overlooked all my pharmtech work and could talk about my duties and how well I do. On the other hand, the assistant prof at UTSA has that title and association to the University of Texas. A friend suggested that I email the prof and let him get to know me that way and ask for a rec after. But I'm still torn, since he hasn't really... seen me do anything but take pictures of him and his bride-to-be. Lastly, the proff at UTA doesn't know me very well as of right now. I could ask her for a rec before applications are due after I've done some work, but I'm not sure if submitting my app late would hinder my chances at getting accepted.

Any opinions would be deeply appreciated!!! Thank you!

(((Also, if you have extra time, please let me know what my chances are of getting in.)))
Just get three. I had four when I applied

Titles don't mean as much as actually knowing you. You could get the President to write one for you but what are the odds they think he knows anything about your ability? Go with #1, since she can write something backed with evidence about your ability. You don't have another professor that can write a good rec since you already have a pharmacist?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Titles don't mean as much as actually knowing you. You could get the President to write one for you but what are the odds they think he knows anything about your ability? Go with #1, since she can write something backed with evidence about your ability. You don't have another professor that can write a good rec since you already have a pharmacist?

second that :)

Reactions: 1 user
Unless you are sure the name will be recognizable and respected by those on the admission committee (AND that person could write a good letter of recommendation for you), then who they are matters very little as does your relationship with them.

It is very easy to identify a letter of recommendation written by someone who did not truly know the person very well. As the 2nd person would likely not write you a letter of rec that would showcase a personal or professional relationship with you it would be more likely to do nothing or harm your case than be a benefit. The 3rd option could be a really good one depending on how well they get to know you after spending some time with you. If they still know only a little more than your name, it's not the best idea.

I would go with #1 as that will probably be the most impressive letter of the 3 without the names at the end. If you feel you are getting to know the advisor later in the year, go on and get them to write one as well and submit 4 letters (I did).

As for your chances of getting in, I would say they are unknowable at this point. Your interview will mean a lot (the most probably), and your letters are likely to mean the least. Without a recognizable name, Letters of Rec are really there to help raise any red flags (someone wasn't as nice as you hoped) and to make sure that you can find three appropriate people who are willing to put their name on a letter. Who they are and what glowing things they have to say about you aren't nearly as important as the fact they they wrote it in the first place.

Reactions: 1 user

Thank you for your input. :) I don't think I would want another professor, since I already have one who knows me very well. I have a pharmacist who knows my clinical work for her, and I think I'll go with my pharmacy tech supervisor who can speak about my pharm tech work.

----

Unless you are sure the name will be recognizable and respected by those on the admission committee (AND that person could write a good letter of recommendation for you), then who they are matters very little as does your relationship with them.

It is very easy to identify a letter of recommendation written by someone who did not truly know the person very well. As the 2nd person would likely not write you a letter of rec that would showcase a personal or professional relationship with you it would be more likely to do nothing or harm your case than be a benefit. The 3rd option could be a really good one depending on how well they get to know you after spending some time with you. If they still know only a little more than your name, it's not the best idea.

I would go with #1 as that will probably be the most impressive letter of the 3 without the names at the end. If you feel you are getting to know the advisor later in the year, go on and get them to write one as well and submit 4 letters (I did).

As for your chances of getting in, I would say they are unknowable at this point. Your interview will mean a lot (the most probably), and your letters are likely to mean the least. Without a recognizable name, Letters of Rec are really there to help raise any red flags (someone wasn't as nice as you hoped) and to make sure that you can find three appropriate people who are willing to put their name on a letter. Who they are and what glowing things they have to say about you aren't nearly as important as the fact they they wrote it in the first place.

I really appreciate your advice. I'll go with #1. I'll have to double check for my schools, but I think they only accept 3 max. Otherwise, I'll consider submitting another by #3 if she gets to know me better. Thank you so much! :D