Letter of Rec...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor-wanabe

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering, since you all have gotten into osteopathic schools, how neccessary would it be to have a letter of rec from a DO physician? Can you still get in with an MD letter? I've noticed some schools on the AACOM website varies on the topic, so I was wondering if you guys could clear that up...Thanks in advance...

Members don't see this ad.

doctor-wanabe said:
I was wondering, since you all have gotten into osteopathic schools, how neccessary would it be to have a letter of rec from a DO physician? Can you still get in with an MD letter? I've noticed some schools on the AACOM website varies on the topic, so I was wondering if you guys could clear that up...Thanks in advance...

As you mentioned, you have to check the school's individual requirements, but I know that most DO schools requires a letter from a DO. Have fun!

Most likely you will need an LOR from a DO. The school wants to know that you know what osteopathic medicine is about and about OMM. There has to be at least one DO where you live. You will have to call their office probably for a shadowing appt.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted to COMP w/o a DO letter of rec or shadowing a DO.

DOforGod said:
As you mentioned, you have to check the school's individual requirements, but I know that most DO schools requires a letter from a DO. Have fun!

Not all of them require it but having one will allow you to apply to all schools.

Having only an MD letter says two things:

1)You've never shadowed a DO, and therefore have never spoken to, interacted with, or been close to osteopathic medicine.

2)You wanted to go MD, but that didn't pan out, so now you're going DO as a backup.

Get the DO letter. It will make things easier for you.

I only had a letter from an MD. Since I worked with him for 3 years, it was more appropriate to have an MD letter than a letter from a DO that I shadowed for only a few hours. However, I did shadow a DO to show adcomms I was familiar with osteopathic med.

Each school has different requirements, go to this website to see what each school wants:
http://www.aacom.org/colleges/

--------------
TUCOM-NV 2010