Letter of Reccomendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axelz165

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was never able to get really close with any of my professors. Some of them may recognize me from just being in class and asking questions but I don't think this is enough of a personal connection. I was able to connect very well with my speech professor, however I know that many schools are looking for science professors for rec letters. Would it be beneficial to have her write a letter upon my public speaking skills and ability to work with others? I'm fairly confident she would be able to write a glowing letter for me because she absolutely loved everything I did in her class. I feel like this would be a great supplement to an adequate normal letter form a science teacher. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I was never able to get really close with any of my professors. Some of them may recognize me from just being in class and asking questions but I don't think this is enough of a personal connection. I was able to connect very well with my speech professor, however I know that many schools are looking for science professors for rec letters. Would it be beneficial to have her write a letter upon my public speaking skills and ability to work with others? I'm fairly confident she would be able to write a glowing letter for me because she absolutely loved everything I did in her class. I feel like this would be a great supplement to an adequate normal letter form a science teacher. Thoughts?

This depends on the school, some schools require science professor, some requires any professor. You should call the school or check on the pharmcas website.

Personally, I had two rec letters from my employers and one from pharmacist. I didnt ask lecture professor for my rec letter.

Here are some helpful links for rec letters:

List of School and required rec. letters
http://www.pharmcas.org/docs/ReqTypebySchool0910.pdf

Why rec. letter can "make or break" an application
http://pharmdadmissions.ucsf.edu/2008/09/are-letters-of-recommendation-really.html

What your evaluator get
http://www.pharmcas.org/applicants/evalquestions.htm

Pharmcas General info on rec letter
http://www.pharmcas.org/applicants/eval.htm

Last edited:
Wow all this information is very useful! Thanks alot :).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, kcwang, for posting such useful links! Bookmarked this page!

To clarify, they fill out that "Questions for Evaluators" form, but ALSO submit a "letter" that they wrote, right?

//edit - Also, let's say one school requires 3 (2 science, 1 pharmacist) letters, and one school requires 4 (2 science professors, 1 pharmacist, 1 liberal arts). I have 2 science, 1 pharmacist, and 1 liberal arts submitted to PharmCAS. How do I choose which are sent to the school that requires 3? Of if the school requires 1 science, 1 pharmacist, how does PharmCAS know which science letter to send to that school? Thank you!

Last edited:
To clarify, they fill out that "Questions for Evaluators" form, but ALSO submit a "letter" that they wrote, right?

//edit - Also, let's say one school requires 3 (2 science, 1 pharmacist) letters, and one school requires 4 (2 science professors, 1 pharmacist, 1 liberal arts). I have 2 science, 1 pharmacist, and 1 liberal arts submitted to PharmCAS. How do I choose which are sent to the school that requires 3? Of if the school requires 1 science, 1 pharmacist, how does PharmCAS know which science letter to send to that school? Thank you!

You submit all 4 to pharmcas, and the school will then choose whichever one they want. Your only job is to submit all four of them.

I do not know since I never asked my professors or pharmacist about the LOR, but I am sure pharmcas will send them detailed instruction on LOR. From the link of "Questions for Evaluators", there is a section labeled "Letter of Reference – Comments Section" I am assuming that is the "letter".

The major lesson I'm getting for this, "Make an effort to establish relationships with your professors early on."

I'm a pretty friendly person and so that shouldn't be too hard for me, but I also feel weird about talking with professors because I wonder if they feel that I'm trying to be a brown-nose for grades or something.

The major lesson I'm getting for this, "Make an effort to establish relationships with your professors early on."

I'm a pretty friendly person and so that shouldn't be too hard for me, but I also feel weird about talking with professors because I wonder if they feel that I'm trying to be a brown-nose for grades or something.

I had the same problem at first. What worked for me was visiting during office hours to ask for help with some challenging homework. At least then they know you are making an effort and might recognise you later on. It worked for me anyway. If you can get some lab work with one of your science prof, you would be golden. :thumbup:

I agree with you. There are many different sides to you as a student and each professor can express those characteristics that they view in you. This shows you are not one dimensional. Why do you think the science prof's LoR will be "adequate?" If you were an A student, and the class size was not 300+ then the letter will be great too. Just hand him/her your personal statement so he has a picture of you in mind.