Letter of Recommendation from Med School Professor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pacermed99

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently do research with a professor of surgery at my large in-state medical school. I am planning on receiving a letter of rec from him. Does him being a professor at the medical school give me any sort of advantage? I am assuming it would not exponentially increase my chances, but I wanted to see what type of weight it holds. My stats are around average for the school and so are EC's and my state admits mostly in-state students, but just wanted to see if anyone had any opinions on this.

Members don't see this ad.

I dont think him being a prof really matters beyond the fact that he probably has sent quite a few people to med schools and is a known quanitity. If you don't already have a research letter I dont see why you wouldn't include it and if you think its a good letter I cant imagine it would hurt.

I currently do research with a professor of surgery at my large in-state medical school. I am planning on receiving a letter of rec from him. Does him being a professor at the medical school give me any sort of advantage? I am assuming it would not exponentially increase my chances, but I wanted to see what type of weight it holds. My stats are around average for the school and so are EC's and my state admits mostly in-state students, but just wanted to see if anyone had any opinions on this.
Not really

It won't help per se but not having a letter from someone with whom you have done research can raise eyebrows at the top research schools who care about that sort of thing.