Letter of Recommendation help!

JPodel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so as some of you know or may not know, I am entering my senior year next week in hs. This summer I volunteered at a Lab about 5-6 hours a day for basically every weekday for a month. I was pretty darn consistent and got what I needed to get done in time and my 2 "PI's" or the PhD students that I work under have really liked my pace and gave me compliments on my work and they want me to come back next summer and hopefully part time when I start college. I got this opportunity by emailing a MD/PhD at a Lab and she kindly offered to meet with me and see what I was looking for and upon meeting she told me that 2 PhD students (my mentors basically) needed some help doing dry research. So I started "volunteering" there ever since and I absolutely enjoy it and definitely will go back next summer and while I attend college because it is really close to the campus. As high school (my last year) is coming up next week, I am going to have to leave soon and was wondering if it would be okay for me to ask for a Letter of Recommendation I can use when applying to college? I will be applying to college in about 3-4 months or so to the early decisions and was wondering should I get a hard copy of a letter or wait till I apply and then send them the online request form for the letter or req? Also should I ask the MD/PhD that decided to take me on or the 2 "PIs/mentors" that have been giving me the work and seeing my progress for it? Getting a letter from the MD/PhD might look really nice but I don't know if she would even right me one? She is really nice but since she is always busy and hasn't seen my work, I don't know if she will have anything to write about me?! And the program I am applying to has an online letter of rec system so should I just tell whoever I decide to ask I will send them a request in about 3-4 months and they could fill it our or should I ask for a hard copy now? Please let me know guys, thanks!!!!!! :) ***Excuse any typos, I did not double check this.

Members don't see this ad.

Bump Bump, I kind of need some advice asap pleaseeee

Well first congrats on your research man! I think you should definitely ask the MD/PhD in charge for a LOR first, because even though she may have not directly seen your work, I'm sure her and your PhD mentors have talked about your work in the lab. If she can't do it, ask them to. I think they'd be an awesome LOR for colleges! And try to keep on them about a hard copy as soon as possible (without being rude of course). Sorry if this doesn't answer your question, I was trying to answer quickly.

Where else are you applying besides ASU?

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, thanks a ton Biobeaver for replying asap! :)

So basically I should ask the main MD/PhD in charge for one and if she says "No" then ask my mentors? Also should this be done via email or actually make an appointment to talk to her? She is sooo busy all the time that I need to reserve some time in advance just to talk to her! So what would I do about the online LOR required in a few months when I apply to Barrett (Honors college at ASU)?

I am probably just going to apply to ASU. I'll give Barrett a shot and if that doesnt work, Ill just do regular ASU. I prefer to stay in AZ and UA is not an option. LOL

Well, first of all congrats on landing the research opp and doing good. I'd say definitely ask for a letter of recommendation! Now to who being the problem, I think of course it'll probably look better from the boss, but if they say they're too busy, ect. it'd be fine to get one from one (or both) of the PIs. I mean they are still a mentor and can vouch for you.

WOW. My whole week is made. Before I even talked to her about it, she came up to me and said "I would be beyond pleased to write you a letter of recommendation for the honors college!". Oh boy am I happy! I love this place <3

Well, first of all congrats on landing the research opp and doing good. I'd say definitely ask for a letter of recommendation! Now to who being the problem, I think of course it'll probably look better from the boss, but if they say they're too busy, ect. it'd be fine to get one from one (or both) of the PIs. I mean they are still a mentor and can vouch for you.
Thanks so much for replying man!

WOW. My whole week is made. Before I even talked to her about it, she came up to me and said "I would be beyond pleased to write you a letter of recommendation for the honors college!". Oh boy am I happy! I love this place <3

congrats dude virtual high five :highfive:

High fives to all of you! The only thing is that Early Decision starts in about 3 months and the whole letter of rec system is online so I will let her know that I will send her an email directly from the application in about 3 months or so... Does that sound fine?

That's fine, she should be able to understand. Congrats by the way :)

Scratch the part where I said I will be applying to college in the next 3-4 months. The EA application goes online on September 3rd, 2013. HOLY GRAIL

Congrats man!!!!! That must be a good feeling, your senior year will go well too! Goodluck applying to all the colleges!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks man! It is definitely a good feeling! Just knowing I will be welcome back next summer and during the year is great! Thanks everyone!

the love of his life ASU

Yeah, I thought everyone knew this... Lets make it public:

JPATEL IS GOING TO ASU :whistle:

But gosh ASU, a $65 application fee? C'mon now.....

ASU till I die ;)

Barrett, the honors college is actually pretty well known! Can't wait to apply in a month and a half!

Is the 65$ considered low or high? I haven't looked at any other college besides ASU.

You guys are such good friends, you even know the only place I am applying too! :)

ASU till I die ;)

Barrett, the honors college is actually pretty well known! Can't wait to apply in a month and a half!

Is the 65$ considered low or high? I haven't looked at any other college besides ASU.

Average. Others may be 75 or even 85. I saw your thread a while ago, wasn't too sure who you should ask. But I see it ended well. GOOD LUCK!!! :D

to me that's really high. All the places I applied to pretty much had ~$30 fees. But then again I had waivers ;)

to me that's really high. All the places I applied to pretty much had ~$30 fees. But then again I had waivers ;)

I think the private, more prestigious schools are much more expensive. ^.^