Letter of Recommendation Issue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

navybluedreams

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

For one of my LORs, I was looking to ask a PT I worked with several years ago in an outpatient clinic. However, that was when I younger, and not in my prime. Also, it's been several years and I have spoken to him once or twice, but are contact has been limited. Currently, I am employed as a tech at an inpatient facility, and I feel like I'm much more mature and show a better diversity of character, skills, and passion towards the field. BUT, the two main PTs I work with currently were raised with English being their second language, and moved to the US 5-10 years ago. So I'm afraid that their LORs may have grammatical and cogency issues.

What do y'all advise I should do in this predicament?

Thanks
 
LOR is mainly a form to pick and click rating system followed by a section to write a "letter."

Maybe it's just because there have been some recent LOR threads, but from what I can tell, your application won't typically be that dependent on LORs. You're better off worrying that your essay is cogent. There is undoubtedly a debate on this but I'd hazard a guess that most LORs are just gonna say more or less the same thing. Yes, there may be stand-outs but with so many applications, I'd say redundant letters are a majority rather than everyone being special flowers.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I visited a school several weeks ago, and they said that the admissions department actually puts forth an effort to read LORs. So based on this information, and your advice, do you guys I should just go with the "second language PTs"?