Letter of Recommendation question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dodgebruce

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I guess I'll be in your positions a year from now. At any rate, I once read somewhere that I only needed one science letter of rec, and I got one, from a Biology professor.

However, I have since read another place where I would need two. I have no idea where I can get another science letter of rec, since my classes are set for the schoolyear. I could potentially take a science class during the summer, which would end in early August.

My biggest question is, I am a Psychobiology major, and have a great rapport with my Psychology professors. Would a psychology letter of rec be regarded as a science letter of rec? How about a math letter of rec?

If the letter of rec requirements differ from school to school, is there a website where I could find out what the requirements are? Thanks!

Bruce

P.S. I am especially interested in UCLA's med school.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by dodgebruce

However, I have since read another place where I would need two. I have no idea where I can get another science letter of rec, since my classes are set for the schoolyear.

I think most medical schools will require that you complete several courses in physics, math, biology and chemistry. Any of these professors would also qualify as a science LOR. It is also helpful to have a LOR from a humanities professor, and an additional LOR from a non-academic mentor.
Good luck w/ classes :)

It is a good idea to get at least 3 letters of recommendation. Some schools have special requirements like, 2 science (professor or someone you did research with) and 1 non-science (humanities class, an employer). Also, if you have shadowed a doc or worked in a clinical setting, try to get a letter from someone there as well (specifically from a doctor you worked with and who can attest to your skills/abilities/potential).

The requirements are different everywhere, some schools don't specify, others do. There were a couple of schools I applied to where I did not meet the specific letter of rec requirements...but that did not stop me from receiving an interview. As long as you have a well-rounded collection of recs (good ones) you should be ok! Sorry, I don't know about UCLA in particular, but if you go their website and look under admissions/application requirements they may mention something about letters of rec.

Members don't see this ad :)
and some stipulate 2 science that have taught you -- that is your research professor or PI cannot be included in the 2 science, whereas s/he could be an additional recommender. IIRC, UCSD requires 2 science from 4-yr school (that is no CC science recommenders).

Okay, so does, say, an abnormal psychology course professor count as a science professor?

what would you do--i'm pretty sure it'd be difficult to get a good science letter of rec since all those classes were a couple years ago.

no physcology class will count as a science professor recommendation for med school. just stick to the 4 basic sequences med schools require, general chemistry, organic chemistry, general biology, and physics. you could use a professor who taught you in an upper division course in one of those fields, for example, biochemistry or genetics.

Originally posted by carrigallen
I think most medical schools will require that you complete several courses in physics, math, biology and chemistry. Any of these professors would also qualify as a science LOR. It is also helpful to have a LOR from a humanities professor, and an additional LOR from a non-academic mentor.
Good luck w/ classes :)

although math courses count towards the science GPA, most schools do not count LORs from math professors as science. a general rule of thumb is to have 2 sci, 1 nonsci. check out this thread for more specific requirements on a lot of schools (ucla included) or check out the school's webpage: List recommendation requirements for each school

Originally posted by dodgebruce

what would you do--i'm pretty sure it'd be difficult to get a good science letter of rec since all those classes were a couple years ago.

either take another science course or ask the profs from your old classes. i asked a recommender whose class i was in from 93-94 to write me a letter this year as well as recommenders from 95-97, 98, and 00 to write letters. none of them seemed to have issues with it, though i'm sure i was a little rusty in their heads. if you did well and they remember you, provide them with info on what you've done etc... and they should be able to write a decent letter.

you *definitely* need more than 1 science letter, and psychology will not count.