yes, it does happen quite often because I know a very close person that wrote his own as well. I just feel like if schools really want a LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION FROM AN OPTOMETRIST that the optometrist should really be writing it. Obviously you know yourself better than anybody else, but I happen to be in a situation where my optometrist and I got to know each other pretty well OUTSIDE of the optometry talk... such as football, golf, etc. It's actually quite easy to get personal with them.. and for them to WANT to write that letter for you to help you in your academic pursuits. I just find it more fair for the optometrist to write it since the school is really asking for the optometrist's opinion. If the optometrist agrees with everything you wrote and signs it... that's fine too. I just find it more honest if it was ACTUALLY written by the person who signed it. I think the language in the letter would sound different as well coming from an optometrist who may know everything about optometry school, curriculum, patient interaction, etc.
just my opinion.