Letter of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bodhisattva

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm doing some research this summer with someone I worked with before I started med school, and I'm going to be able to crank out a poster and a paper. Should I get a letter of recommendation for my file in case I'd like to use it for residency apps? It's just that residency applications are so far down the line, and I don't think I'll be seeing this person between now and then (this person is at another medical school). And I'm still not sure what I want to go into. I might just fall in love with another specialty come 3rd year. Also, when I asked this person to write a letter for me for medical school, she asked me to write it myself and then she'd add anything else she could think of and sign it. If I remember correctly, she only added one more paragraph. So should I even bother? I don't really want to write my letter again, and I don't know how useful a letter that's a couple of years old is going to be.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about the LOR, but I do know that your avatar is hard to look at!:D

So I'm doing some research this summer with someone I worked with before I started med school, and I'm going to be able to crank out a poster and a paper. Should I get a letter of recommendation for my file in case I'd like to use it for residency apps? It's just that residency applications are so far down the line, and I don't think I'll be seeing this person between now and then (this person is at another medical school). And I'm still not sure what I want to go into. I might just fall in love with another specialty come 3rd year. Also, when I asked this person to write a letter for me for medical school, she asked me to write it myself and then she'd add anything else she could think of and sign it. If I remember correctly, she only added one more paragraph. So should I even bother? I don't really want to write my letter again, and I don't know how useful a letter that's a couple of years old is going to be.

Most residency programs are not interested in letters that are more than one year old so unless you are going to work with the person as a third-year medical student or ask again once you reach that point, any old letter will be worthless.