M2 in clerkships, unsure how to ask for a letter of recommendation from an attending who barely worked with me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Latteandaprayer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
School is 1 year preclinical. I went into rotations with an open mind. I’m only on my third, neurology, and I loved it. I wasn’t expecting to. I liked the pathophys and localization M1 year, but I thought the clinical practice would drag me down. Wrong.

The issue is, the way it’s set up is that I had a different attending the first two weeks every day, and they only staffed. Which meant I worked with the residents directly and just presented one patient at most to the attending. I don’t even think they know my name lol

I worked with an attending inpatient for one week, but again it was mostly staffing. However to be fair, he saw me do more than any other attending. At the end of the week, he said “your localization is better than most med students, but you should work on your differentials.” I won’t see him again. I’m worried a letter from him wouldn’t be strong just because he didn’t get to see me grow and get better at differentials.

Should I wait to do electives 3rd year and a sub-I before asking anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
School is 1 year preclinical. I went into rotations with an open mind. I’m only on my third, neurology, and I loved it. I wasn’t expecting to. I liked the pathophys and localization M1 year, but I thought the clinical practice would drag me down. Wrong.

The issue is, the way it’s set up is that I had a different attending the first two weeks every day, and they only staffed. Which meant I worked with the residents directly and just presented one patient at most to the attending. I don’t even think they know my name lol

I worked with an attending inpatient for one week, but again it was mostly staffing. However to be fair, he saw me do more than any other attending. At the end of the week, he said “your localization is better than most med students, but you should work on your differentials.” I won’t see him again. I’m worried a letter from him wouldn’t be strong just because he didn’t get to see me grow and get better at differentials.

Should I wait to do electives 3rd year and a sub-I before asking anyone?
You can always ask for a strong letter and see what they say. Have them write it, and use it as a last resort if other letters don’t come thru

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you need this letter for something more immediate, I see no benefit from getting a LOR right now.
You're better off getting more clinical experience under your belt, doing a sub-i. If you think you got along with this attending, ask to be placed with this attending in clinic or when they are on their in-patient week during your sub-i/advanced elective.

My reason is that you still have a lot to learn. As you mature, you will build better relationships with attendings and have a more impressive CV to give them when it comes time to get the letter. When they write the letter, they will only have glowing things to say and will highlight your achievements.

I also would hold off for the reasons stated above. Additionally, you really should try to foster a strong relationship with at least one attending at the beginning of each rotation, then get a letter from the attending/attendings. Some people are good at writing generically good letters, but oftentimes it'll be obvious in the language whether or not you made an impression on someone. "OP was a pleasure to work with. He/she showed up early and stayed late. He/she had great bedside manner." sends a less impactful message than a letter that highlights more specific strengths that you showcased.

It sounds like this person (1) does not know you well and (2) is not super impressed with what they did know. Not the makings of a strong letter. It also it sounds like you have plenty of time to work with more neurologists in 3rd and 4th year to get a stronger letter.