letter of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pa3cia15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished shadowing PTs and PTAs for 100 hours. I completed my hours within 3weeks by shadowing during their work hours. It was an amazing experience but my problem is that I shadowed different therapists. They're all nice and possibly and hopefully willing to write me a LOR in the future but I'm not sure who knows me well because I only shadowed each of them for at least 10 hrs and who will write the best LOR.

Also, they have a "leader" who was in charge of assigning me to whoever therapist I would shadow that day (I also shadowed him) but I contacted their director before I started shadowing but I did not get to shadow him. So who should I ask for a LOR when I apply for PT school?

And should I ask for a LOR now that they still remember me or when I'm applying to PT school already?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I am guessing that you will not be applying to school until next fall? (since you said "when I apply"). If that is the case, you still have more than half a year to continue volunteering and getting to know the physical therapists better.
Personally, I do not think only 10 hrs of shadowing one physical therapist will allow them to get to know you really well to the point that they could write you a LOR that really stands out. It has been my experience that when someone does not know a student as well but writes them a LOR anyways, it shows through the recommendation because they won't have much more to say about you other than a few basic things. I think you should try to get to know a specific PT as much as possible so that they have a ton of things to say about you and your LOR will stand out from many others.
I started volunteering at a small outpatient center... only 3 physical therapists and 1 pta. This allows me to get to know all of them really well since the place is so small. I would recommend trying to get more volunteer hours at a smaller place if you can, you will be more likely to shadow the same person everytime or more than once in that instance. Or you can always talk with the person who assigns you to a PT... explain to them that you would like to get to know one or 2 PT's more by shadowing them more so that you can ask them for a LOR in the future. He or she might be able to work with you on that. It is worth a shot.

I agree with the above comment, you have plenty of time to continue volunteering! From my experience, it was better to ask the PTs to write LORs when I was already filling out the applications. You've got lots of time to meet new PTs or continue in the facility you're already at to "know them better". Just keep up with them so they don't forget you. When the time comes don't be afraid to ask, "Hey, I've been shadowing you for a while and I just wanted to know if you'd be comfortable with writing me a LOR for me?" or something like that.

IDK if I'm going off topic here, but here are some things I included in my recommendation packs: resume with logged hours, school transcript, personal statement, and a set of instructions.

Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're applying through PTCAS, they recommend they use the electronic forms to fill out the LORs. In that case, it's not an actual letter, but 3 pages with general info, questions, and additional comments (I was told this by one of the therapists that wrote one of my LORs for this past cycle). Keep that in mind so they know ahead of time what to expect. If you're applying to a program not part of PTCAS, then you would need the actual letter or whatever their recommendation is. If you let the PT or whomever know ahead of time they will be prepared to write you one letter to send to multiple schools or write an actual letter plus fill out the online stuff for PTCAS. best of luck when you apply!

So I am guessing that you will not be applying to school until next fall? (since you said "when I apply"). If that is the case, you still have more than half a year to continue volunteering and getting to know the physical therapists better.
Personally, I do not think only 10 hrs of shadowing one physical therapist will allow them to get to know you really well to the point that they could write you a LOR that really stands out. It has been my experience that when someone does not know a student as well but writes them a LOR anyways, it shows through the recommendation because they won't have much more to say about you other than a few basic things. I think you should try to get to know a specific PT as much as possible so that they have a ton of things to say about you and your LOR will stand out from many others.
I started volunteering at a small outpatient center... only 3 physical therapists and 1 pta. This allows me to get to know all of them really well since the place is so small. I would recommend trying to get more volunteer hours at a smaller place if you can, you will be more likely to shadow the same person everytime or more than once in that instance. Or you can always talk with the person who assigns you to a PT... explain to them that you would like to get to know one or 2 PT's more by shadowing them more so that you can ask them for a LOR in the future. He or she might be able to work with you on that. It is worth a shot.
I'd love to shadow them longer but this hospital is 4 hrs away from home and I just went out of town to observe. hopefully I can shadow a PT for a longer period of time so he/she can get to me more and vice versa. but thank you!

I'd love to shadow them longer but this hospital is 4 hrs away from home and I just went out of town to observe. hopefully I can shadow a PT for a longer period of time so he/she can get to me more and vice versa. but thank you!

Ah, I know how that is. I am currently observing as well at a large hospital. The PT coordinator assigns me to observe one pt for 4 hours in one department, and then she assigns me to observe a different pt for 4 hours in another department and so on. She told me she wants me to be able to get exposure to as many departments as possible....but I am with a different PT every time...not enough time to ask any of them for a LOR. This is why I am also volunteering at a small outpatient center...I am able to get to know all of them really well and follow the same pt's every time. I might also volunteer in another setting. Because it is soo far away for you, I would try to volunteer at an outpatient center close to where you live. You won't switch between PT's as much at an outpatient as you would at a hospital. Good luck.