Letter of Recommendations questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JakeSill

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it good to ask a letter of recommendation from a professor that wants you to answer a set of questions in a word document, like how you study or think critically? I've read somewhere that it's not good to get a LoR from a professor that basically wants you to write the LoR yourself.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like he just wants to get to know you better.

The questions are a little odd, but the professor might just do that for every LOR by habit. I've seen it before especially from profs at larger institutions. If you have doubts don't be afraid to ask and ensure if the professor will be able to write you a strong letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a little strange from a professor. But you are not obliged to awnser to all. I think like raf1ki, he just want to know you better. :)

Last edited:
I had one professor ask for a resume and personal statement. It isn't too uncommon for professors or letter writers to want more information. I agree with the above though, ask for a strong letter of recommendation. It also depends on how well you know the professor. If they know you by name and know your work ethic then thats one thing. If they have no idea who you are, then you may not want a letter from them at all.

Is it good to ask a letter of recommendation from a professor that wants you to answer a set of questions in a word document, like how you study or think critically? I've read somewhere that it's not good to get a LoR from a professor that basically wants you to write the LoR yourself.
It's advisable to ask your professor whether s(he) is prepared a strong LOR on your behalf. It's a yes-or-no type question. If the professor says "yes," then feel free to ask her or him how your responses to the set of questions might be used to evaluate your merits/skills/potential as an aspiring medical student. Only your professor can answer this question to your satisfaction and not anyone else.

At all times, be diplomatic, respectful and proactive: after all, your goal is to "stand out" on your own merits; and your letter writer should be prepared to describe your merits as an aspiring medical student, based on knowing you well.