Letter of References- number to submit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LandoftheJagain

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey folks,

Quick question regarding LoRs. Tried doing a search but theres not much on the topic. I've got 4 that I would ideally like to submit, but:

1) Would it look bad (i.e.: she can't follow the rules) to submit 4 when they ask for 3?
2) Do two letters from the same elective look bad?

J
 
This question comes up every year. I cannot imagine that there is a program out there that will actually ding you for submitting 4 letters. If anyone has a link to a website that identifies such a program, I'd like to see it. If a program states that they require 3 letters, that's the minimum and I expect that 4 is fine.

2 letters from the same elective is fine, although most people do not do this.
 
This question comes up every year. I cannot imagine that there is a program out there that will actually ding you for submitting 4 letters. If anyone has a link to a website that identifies such a program, I'd like to see it. If a program states that they require 3 letters, that's the minimum and I expect that 4 is fine.

2 letters from the same elective is fine, although most people do not do this.

Agreed. The # of letters is the minimum number I need to consider your application complete so I can refer it for review. If someone submits four rather than 3, there's no problem, but if someone has three I don't have to wait around waiting for a 4th letter that might or might not come.