Letter of References- number to submit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LandoftheJagain

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

Quick question regarding LoRs. Tried doing a search but theres not much on the topic. I've got 4 that I would ideally like to submit, but:

1) Would it look bad (i.e.: she can't follow the rules) to submit 4 when they ask for 3?
2) Do two letters from the same elective look bad?

J

Members don't see this ad.

This question comes up every year. I cannot imagine that there is a program out there that will actually ding you for submitting 4 letters. If anyone has a link to a website that identifies such a program, I'd like to see it. If a program states that they require 3 letters, that's the minimum and I expect that 4 is fine.

2 letters from the same elective is fine, although most people do not do this.

This question comes up every year. I cannot imagine that there is a program out there that will actually ding you for submitting 4 letters. If anyone has a link to a website that identifies such a program, I'd like to see it. If a program states that they require 3 letters, that's the minimum and I expect that 4 is fine.

2 letters from the same elective is fine, although most people do not do this.

Agreed. The # of letters is the minimum number I need to consider your application complete so I can refer it for review. If someone submits four rather than 3, there's no problem, but if someone has three I don't have to wait around waiting for a 4th letter that might or might not come.

Thank you, I appreciate the replies!!! Good to know I won't actually get dinged