letter writer title - fellow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

razkui

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my letter writers during my surgery rotation was an assistant prof - dept of surgery. He was a junior attending back then, but has now went back to fellowship in a different institution. What do you think is an appropriate title?

Surgical Oncology Fellow prior Asst Prof, Dept of Surgery?

or simply: Surgical Oncology Fellow

Members don't see this ad.

One of my letter writers during my surgery rotation was an assistant prof - dept of surgery. He was a junior attending back then, but has now went back to fellowship in a different institution. What do you think is an appropriate title?

Surgical Oncology Fellow prior Asst Prof, Dept of Surgery?

or simply: Surgical Oncology Fellow

You should put his current title but in his letter he should def mention that he was an attending when he worked with you. If he doesn't someone might think he was your resident.

You should put his current title but in his letter he should def mention that he was an attending when he worked with you. If he doesn't someone might think he was your resident.

Thanks, what is your opinion (or anyone's) on the first method of listing it with his prior title as well? Is it tacky or playing it safe, in case its not explicitly written in the letter?

Thanks, what is your opinion (or anyone's) on the first method of listing it with his prior title as well? Is it tacky or playing it safe, in case its not explicitly written in the letter?

It's not unreasonable. Put a comma or semicolon after the first title and use "former" or "previously" instead of "prior". There is a character limit on that field though so watch out.

You should put "Assistant Professor of Surgery". Just because he's doing a fellowship does not mean he loses his Assistant Professor. You should not put anything that would decrease the worth of your letter such as fellow or prior assistant professor. Many residents have informed me of this, resident/fellow letters are pretty much worthless.

Last edited:
You should put "Assistant Professor of Surgery".Just because he's doing a fellowship does not mean he loses his Assistant Professor. You should not put anything that would decrease the worth of your letter such as fellow or prior assistant professor. Many residents have informed me of this, resident/fellow letters are pretty much worthless.

The OP notes that the former faculty member is at another institution. Thus, he does indeed lose the title unless he was also hired by the new institution as an Assistant Professor (which is unlikely in surgical fields).

At any rate, although I am tempted to ask the OP if he is somehow dictating the letter to the fellow (making the insulting assumption that he won't know how to write the letter himself), IMHO it makes the most sense to discuss the etiology of the relationship in the first paragraph, "I became acquainted with razkui during his surgical rotation at University X, where I served as Assistant Professor of Surgery."

He was an assistant Professor when he worked with you so just leave it at that. Don't risk a PD throwing out your LOR cause it was written by a fellow. I don't think most PDs would do this, but I have heard of it.

On Eras I would put
first name last name
Assistant Professor of Surgery

I think you have to work with what you have. He is a fellow now, so that is his current title. However, he should make it very clear that he worked as an attending (and assistant professor) and that it is in that capacity that he worked with you. He can bold that part of his letter, if need be.

That said, are you sure he's not on a leave of absence? I find it surprising that someone would completely abandon a (tenure track?) professor track position to go into fellowship without some sort of assurance that he would at least be able to go back to the old job (admittedly without any adjustment for his fellowship training) if he wanted to...