Letters for scramble

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to scramble tomorrow (yeah! :(). Anyway, all my letters were written with 'waive right to see,' so how do I try and do this for the more than thirty positions we are allowed to use eras for?

I will be doing this on my own (again, I say yeah!). There are alot of FM positions I would like to try for but I have no idea what to do for the letters. There is no way that my letter writers will all be willing to send out 190 pdf copies of their letters, and I am not working with a dean's office. Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

You don't have many choices. ERAS allows you to apply to 30 programs (as you mentioned), and they can get all of your letters. You could:

1. Ask letter writers for a copy of their letters. They might be willing to give you one. They might not.

2. Try to contact programs by phone. When you get through, if interested, then send an application via ERAS. This saves your applications for those programs where you seem to have a chance. You could also apply to 20 programs via ERAS, and then start calling (saving 10 for phone call follow ups).

Option #2 seems the most reasonable

Just because you waived your right to see doesn't mean those writers can't show you those letters of their own accord. You're still covered under "waive" if the letter writers show them to you or send you those PDF's. Under the circumstances, I doubt programs would scrutinize whether you've waived that right, esp during this rush to fill positions.

Hmmm ... ok, thank you very much for your replies. I wish it was so simple to just get copies of the letters and pdf them. Life is often not as simple as we would like. To be honest, it is hard getting the letters and one of the writers (a program director) said he felt it was important that I waive my rights. He said he looks askance at applicants that do not waive. The other people are very busy and so, again, just getting the letters is hard.

It would be great if people (and life) worked the way we want it to but amazingly it does not. :oops:

If I had my choice I would have all documents and letters and then apply to all 224 FM programs but now I will be severely limited to the 30. Hard to believe my future rests on such slight chances. Why would they limit us to just the 30?

They only limit you to 30 *on ERAS*. You can phone, fax and email all 224.