Letters from Program Directors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elizabeth5863

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I don't get a letter from a program director post-interview stating that they hope to work with me in the future, then does that indicate that I won't have a chance of getting into the program? I've received two letters post-interview from program directors who seemed interested in me joining their program, but at the programs that I'm more interested in, I've received nothing. Does anyone know about the significance of these letters? Do most FP applicants get into their top 3 choices despite not getting cards/letters from program directors post-interview? Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at 8 programs last year. Some send them, some don't. I wouldn't stress over it. I think every single person in our med school class that applied FM ended up in their first choice. I would relate to your top choice in a letter that they are in fact your top choice, though. If they thought you were an acceptable applicant this will pretty much guarantee you match there.

I interviewed at 8 programs last year. Some send them, some don't. I wouldn't stress over it. I think every single person in our med school class that applied FM ended up in their first choice. I would relate to your top choice in a letter that they are in fact your top choice, though. If they thought you were an acceptable applicant this will pretty much guarantee you match there.

Is there a rule stating that you're not supposed to reveal how you're going to rank programs? This program is my top choice but I have another month of interviews and what if that choice changes? I've interviewed at 7 programs so far but haven't found any program that was the "perfect" fit for me except this one. (I doubt the other programs I'm interviewing will be better than this one).

Would I get in trouble if I tell a program it is my top choice (and it is for now) but rank other programs higher in February and don't match there? (I've heard about how some programs (mostly surgery) got in trouble for telling a candidate he/she is their top choice but the candidate didn't end up matching there; the candidate ended up filing a complaint).

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a rule stating that you're not supposed to reveal how you're going to rank programs?

No "rule," per se. Do whatever you're comfortable with. I told my first choice that they were my first choice, and meant it.

Would I get in trouble if I tell a program it is my top choice (and it is for now) but rank other programs higher in February and don't match there?

What are they going to do after the match is over, take away your birthday? You're entitled to change your mind. However, if you tell every program that you apply to that they're your first choice, and any of the PDs happen to know each other, you could end up hurting yourself.

Thanks, guys, for the advice! :)

Do I have to reply to emails from program directors? I haven't heard from certain program directors in forever but one recently sent an email stating that he hopes that I would match at his program. I'm not really interested b/c my bf would have difficulty finding work in that area. Should I ignore the email or would the PD think it's rude that I don't reply back? (I don't know what is the proper etiquette, but I had sent a thank you note months ago). I want to make sure I match but I'm not really interested in places where my bf might be unhappy. But I obviously don't want the PD to rank me low for not replying; I don't want to mislead him either. To reply back or not to reply... what a difficult decision. Ugh.

Should I ignore the email or would the PD think it's rude that I don't reply back? (I don't know what is the proper etiquette, but I had sent a thank you note months ago).

Ignoring e-mail messages is generally considered rude, so I'd reply. The content of your reply merely needs to be cordial, not necessarily committal.