Letters from Programs Post-Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

W222

2K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a letter yesterday from one of my top choices for residency saying that they were impressed and intended to rank me, and also that they hope I would rank them. I spoke with a resident I know and they said not to put alot of stock in these letters and that most don't mean much.

I was wondering if I should feel this is just a bunch of BS or is it a good sign?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone think a compiled list of which program send a form letter vs. personalized "will rank" letter is useful?

I for one am against this idea. Their are so many program directors surfing reading these treads I feel it may cheapen the relationship you build with PD's at interviews. I feel that a personal letter from the program should remain that between you and the program. Sound off NumbMD!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Use your own judgment accordingly.

It certainly isn't a bad thing you are getting a letter. At least they don't think you are a total tool.

Let's face it, even though you think that the competition is totally one sided, with the program being the windshield and you being the fly, it's not.

The programs are competing with each other. There are a limited number of competitive applicants, and we as programs are competing for them. They certainly must like you to some degree, but can't say how much. Besides, it's early in the season, they may not have even created a rank list yet, and if it is made, it certainly is not what they are handing in in late February. A letter now is like your thank you note. It's designed to make you feel good about the other party, that's all. They want their name across your desk one more time. So feel happy, but don't pound your chest just yet. Keep interviewing.

When I was a student I got a few of these letters, and thought I was made in the shade..... until I had to scramble in March. I don't mean to scare you, I decreased my rank list to an unacceptably low amount at rank time. Don't do that!

You may get additional letters late in the game, after rank lists are made. These are more important, if the programs are ethical it means you are ranked, and hopefully higher on the list.

To reply to Narcus, I don't know if any other PD's are surfing this site. I haven't heard at any of the AAPD meetings. I just decided on my own to google anesthesiology medical student, and now look at me. Posting at ridiculous times in the morning!

I don't quite know what you mean by cheapening an already superficial relationship. I personally feel that any kind of interaction after the interview lessens the "One Nite Stand" feel to the whole thing. At least you don't have to worry about STD's the next morning.

To reply to Narcus, I don't know if any other PD's are surfing this site. I haven't heard at any of the AAPD meetings.

I know of at least 3 other PD/PC surfing this site.

When I was a student I got a few of these letters, and thought I was made in the shade..... until I had to scramble in March. I don't mean to scare you, I decreased my rank list to an unacceptably low amount at rank time. Don't do that!QUOTE]

can i ask you your opinion on how long of a rank list is safe?

Umms is right, that is the source for info, but not completely. It's like selling a house. There is a market, but all you need is one program to really like you. What you have to do (but it is very hard to do) is be objective about yourself. Compare yourself to your classmates, their grades and test scores. How do you stand against them?

I recommend ranking the programs you want to train at. Don't rank the ones that you don't want to go to. It's that simple. Look deep inside yourself, can you be happy at program A? B? How about C? If the answer is no to any of them, then don't rank 'em. When you are done, you should be happy with your list. If you aren't happy, then it's wrong.

Don't make it too complicated. Do your musts/wants list, it really is a good guide. if a program doesn't have all your musts, cross it off.

I would say "rank every program you interview at, unless you would be happier not matching than going to that program".

I would say "rank every program you interview at, unless you would be happier not matching than going to that program".

Absolutely. Not ranking a program you'd be willing to attend, merely because you received some letters is foolish. As someone pointed out, you are marketing yourself to the department, and the department is marketing themselves to you. There has to be some convention where all the program directors get together and brag about how deep into the rank list the DIDN'T have to go in order to fill, because they seem to be pretty motivated to trick people into ranking them. The conventional wisdom is to ignore all this crap and rank the places in the genuine order in which you would like to attend. This concept must be harder than it sounds, because this topic shows up every year. Like "buy low, sell high." Easy to understand; hard to follow.