Letters from Saba (Lots of Info on Saba!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a pre-dent that was once looking at Saba, and I have some useful information from Saba's Class of 2004. I emailed a handful of them (http://www.saba.edu/residency_match.php), a while back, the following questions:

1) In your opinion, how well is Saba's Basic Science training (first two years)?

2) Are the small class sizes a gift or a curse?

3) How difficult is it to attain a general residency being a Saba graduate?

4) If you are a Canadian: How difficult was it to attain a residency? Was finding a sponsor for the H-1B visa a headache?


In the threads below, are the answers I recieved. I'll post more as I find them... I think I saved them somewhere on my hard drive but I can't promise anything 😛.
 
1) Very Good ! You will pass your boards if you work hard during first 4 semesters atleast. I scored over 90 on my boards and that was 3 years ago. Now they have Kaplan for Step 1.

2) GIFT what do you think ? Personalized attention. Cohesive groups

3) Not diff at all. Score well on USMLE over 90. Take time off to study hard. Scores matter most.....No one cares how much time you took off.....Pass the first time.

4) My friends from Canada have all gotten [visas].
 
1) As good as any other Caribbean school, if not better. The facilities are new and very modern. The only thing keeping the first two years as being as good as any other school in US or Canada is that there is a high turnover of professors. Most of the professors are PhD's who teach their specialty while taking courses along side of you for their MD degree or they are regular professors on sabatical. Most of the ones on sabbatical are from India or Pakistan. Some have been from England, US and Canada. It's really hit or miss with the profs. Some are excellent, some are horrible, most are adequate. The more you work the less they count. I felt very well prepared after the first two years but it all depends on how hard you want to work on your own.

2) Definitely a good thing. Unless you don't get along with people 🙂

3) Family practice is no problem at all.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1) It has probably changed somewhat since I left the island in 2002, but I found the classroom work to be quite adeqaute as a preparation, both for Step 1, and for the clinical years. We had some problems with the Pharmacology course, but since then, they have hired new faculty, who are hopefully better preparing the students in this subject. Generally, the students who were motivated to self-study, either alone or in groups, did quite well all through med school. It helps to be involved with the bright students (you will find out who they are pretty quickly). I found that the Canadian students tended to be at the top of the class, so it seems as though we are well-prepared for med school in our undergrad training.

2) Small classes means better cooperation and less personal competition within the class. This has proven to benefit all members of the class, based on the successes I have seen in my class as we entered residency.

3) Family Medicine is no problem. As always, goog grades in med school and good USMLE scores gives you more opportunities.

4) No problem finding a residency in the US. A lot of programs are IMG friendly, and Canadian citizens have no problems with H1-B and J-1 visas (I have a J-1). Check which residency programs sponsor H1-B and which ones require J-1 when you are interviewing for residency.
I had some real quality interviews for Psych programs in the US (Mayo, CWRU-Cleveland, Loyola-Chicago, Wayne State-Detroit, to name a few), and the Canadian citizen issue was not a problem with these programs.
 
1) I felt the basic science training was good because we used the text books that are used in the best US schools and because a reasonable standard was set for what we were supposed to accomplish. The standards were set by testing. In medicine much of what you do in the first two years is memory work. There is a little logic involved and pattern recognition - but you don't really need great teachers - and I might add that some of my teachers at SUSOM were superlative - but you won't have the same teachers so I can't vouch for what you will encounter. In any case - you always need to get a hold of as many test questions as possible for step exams - so you can get a feeling for the level of knowledge needed by using review books - NMS, BRS, and question books for step I all along the way during the first 2 years. Basically - what you get out of it is up to you.

2) That depends on the individual - for me smaller classes are better.

3) Family Medicine is easy to get in general regardless of where you come from.
 
1) Each class fluctuates due to the turnover of professors. They usually are around 1-2 years. My Pathology was remarkable, but my Pharm course could have used a lot of work. The class before me was exactly the opposite.

2) The class sizes are perfect in my opinion.

3) Family is what I am in and it is not difficult to attain. It is all about your USMLE scores.
 
those are good match results but doesnt seem so prominent for people who want to do it in the tri state area. (NY/NJ/PA)
 
Here's another response I found:

Hi thanks for writing. Saba was great. The small class sizes were definatley a gift, academic wise....socially, after 2 years of being stuck on a 5 square mile island with the same 35-40 people, strange things will happen. The basic sciences are hard to judge. The teachers were also students when I was there. They all had PHd's and were working on their MD. They teach for 3 years I think and then move on. Very short turnover. Most of my teachers are proabably gone now. Most of them were very good. I had one that was absolutely horrible but I guess whatever school you go to, you'll have at least one bad teacher. I heard a rumor that Saba might stop hiring phd's and only hire MD's from now on. You'll have to check. Family medicine is a piece of cake. No problems with visas or competition. You will match somewhere, don't worry. Physical Rehab med. I'm not sure. No one I know went into that. I think it is getting more competitive but I would say its definately doable if your scores are good. Good luck with everything. Saba is a unique and beautiful and place. Enjoy it if you decide to venture there.

I'll post more as I find them.
 
But, wait... there's more:

Hello. I have to be brief, and cannot answer all your questions, as life in Residency (even Family Practice) is busy. Without doubt I would go to Saba again (and again - I loved the island). Some places might look down at Caribbean Med schools, but the vast majority will just look at your board scores - so it's all down to the work you put in during the four years.
Saba is a good, average, Med school - not the best but neither the most expensive! It will allow you to do almost any residency if you work hard.
Good luck.
 
1. the first two years can be self taught. saba provides you with a good curriculum and gives you the opportunity to do extremely well on the USMLE.

2. again you put in the effort, it does not matter how big or small the class is.

3. if you do well probably pretty easy, I am in Internal medicine.

4. I am american so i don't know.
 
Saba is a great place if you do not have options at home. You will come back to the states for all your rotations and the is a great plus. You can make contacts and get your residecy in a place you rotated. Answers are below:

1) You have to remember, you are using the same books as anoyone here in the States. It is just how much you want to study. Only about 10% of material is learned in class, I am sure you know that already. It boils down to your study habbits. I think Saba did a good job with basic sciences.

2) Well, they used to be small, but I think they are around 70 now.

3) FM is very easy to get from Saba, and even in Canada. There are always open positions form FM here in the States.