Letters of interest?

Started by OBGirlie
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

OBGirlie

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wondering if anyone has emailed some of their programs and indicated your interest in pursuing residency there.

If so, did you receive a response? Just curious.
 
I always included a statement at the end of each thank you, indicating how interested I was. "I would be honored to match at your program", "I am very interested in the program", "I look forward to learning more", etc. I didn't really expect a response, and I'm forcing myself to believe what people say, that it's unlikely to help your ranking. When it comes down to it, I have to believe that, because if my last choice program told me "you're our number one", they'd still be my last choice. I have to assume programs "feel" the same way.

And, no, I haven't specifically heard back from my number one, although my number three did send me a Happy Holidays card.
 
As I've mentioned in my other posts, it never hurts to send the letter.

In our program we use a mathematical algorithm where we score the application on various categories, the interviewers score on several variables, and then at the rank session we assign an "overall impression" score. At the latter, we generally look at the folder and often the question you hear is "did he/she write anything regarding interest in program?" and if there is a letter(s) or card, it helps the applicant's image.

As for hearing back, its a fine line that many programs do not want to necessarily deal with. Therefore don't generally expect one. If you get one, then be happy, flattered, and still rank the places in order of where you want to go rather than where you think you'll match.

All that said, you'll be fine😉 Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, I finished interviewing at the end of december. Since then, I have sent 'Thank you' letters, and a few (3) letters of interest. I've heard from a couple of places since the 'thank you's' but not after the letters of interest. Do I need to do anything else to have these places remember me? I wasn't planning to do a second look, because I kind of know what I like and don't like - and I'm far away from most of the places I'm interested in and can't go back. I don't want to bug these people, but do want to stay in their radar.

Suggestions??

Thanks!!
 
So, I finished interviewing at the end of december. Since then, I have sent 'Thank you' letters, and a few (3) letters of interest. I've heard from a couple of places since the 'thank you's' but not after the letters of interest. Do I need to do anything else to have these places remember me? I wasn't planning to do a second look, because I kind of know what I like and don't like - and I'm far away from most of the places I'm interested in and can't go back. I don't want to bug these people, but do want to stay in their radar.

Suggestions??

Thanks!!

Do Nothing. I am in a somewhat similar spot by not hearing back from all 3 of the places I sent a letter of interest or even the others who I have sent thank you notes. There are tons of threads about the variety of reasons why you might not hear back. Just go with your gut and rank based on that and other factors but never rank based on whether you received feedback from the prgm. Just my opinion.
 
Thanks Nykka, I guess that's what I'll do. It is just REALLY hard to do nothing and wait, because I feel like you can read interview reactions so different after a couple of weeks have gone by . . . anyway, I'm sure lots of people are in this boat. Good luck to everyone!
 
I know this is late notice, but I sent my letters to all of the programs I am ranking and emails to my top three choices. I did get a letter in the mail from one of my top programs but nothing from anyone else yet. Would it be over kill to email them again? Or possibly email some of the residents or other faculty members?
 
I know this is late notice, but I sent my letters to all of the programs I am ranking and emails to my top three choices. I did get a letter in the mail from one of my top programs but nothing from anyone else yet. Would it be over kill to email them again? Or possibly email some of the residents or other faculty members?

when did you send the lettrs of interest/emails to the program initially? if it was a long time ago (early Jan or before) , it doesn't hurt to BRIEFLY remind them of your interest or update them with new info. Or you can just be content to wait it out, b/c as stated before a reply is not an indication of something bad or good. Good luck!