Letters of rec from a English instructor?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by EricCSU, May 8, 2000.

1. EricCSU

EricCSU Senior Member

I'm a sophomore in my undergrad (going to be a junior in 4 days) and I've been thinking about my letters of rec recently. I know that I can get them from my physiology professor, my pre-med advisor, my major advisor, my gross professor, and a neurosurgeon. I've been talking to my english teacher lately a lot (she's making me write a 20 page paper about Kurt Vonnegut, so I ask her opinion frequently). Even though she's not a doctor or a science proffesor, could she write a useful letter of rec for me? She'd be a good judge of my work ethic and creativity. Also, she has a Ph.D. but she's not a proffesor. Does that matter? Any input would be helpful. Thank you.

Eric

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DocGibby

DocGibby Senior Member

Pick people who you believe will write you the best possible letter. That is what matters most.

4. Robert

Robert Member

I am sure she'll write you an excellent letter, but how much weight is it going to carry?

I believe DO medical school admissions tend to prefer letters from DO, research professors that you worked with and science class professors. While letters from non-science professors, TA, pastors, and boss certainly add to your overall application in terms of your character profile but I would focus more on the former group if you can.

5. flipper

flipper Member

I had letters from the chairman of our school's pre-med advisory board, a biochem professor who's lab I work in and one from our family doctor who is a DO. I haven't a clue as to what the DO said in his letter, but his letter was highly complimented by both sets of interviewers that I interviewed with. IMHO a letter from of DO is of tantamount importance!

Good Luck!!!

Eric J
    UHS04

6. Monkey

Monkey Member

If you think the English prof. will write a good letter for you, have her write it.

I got to know one of my English professors pretty well and she wrote a letter for me that spoke a lot about my personality. It actually turned out to be pretty valuable as it led to some very interesting conversation in my interviews.

I don't think it would hurt at all.

7. I have to agree with MONKEY on this one. I didn't have the traditional science prof's. letters, but I did get a D.O. letter. Check to see which schools have strict rules about there letters, i.e., some schools want 1 from a sci prof, 1 from a non-sci prof, and 1 from a health related/volunteer or employer...etc.
    That way you know before you apply which letters go where and you are not scrambling to reach some deadlines....like me
    oh yea....GOOD LUCK too