Letters of Rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnnyrocket

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
So I'm beginning the process of applying and am going to contact the people I want to write me a letter of recommendation this week. For the researchers I have worked for, should I ask them to comment on solely my research abilities, physician qualities, or both? From what I understand of the process, letters of rec don?t get sent in until the secondaries, and assuming I?d be able to get MSTP secondaries to fill out, then my letters should be tailored to an MSTP committee right? Also, I have a biochem professor who is going to write one for me, should he also comment on research and becoming a physician or just becoming a physician? Thanks for the help!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

i am going to tell them to comment on how well rounded i am....and would make an excellent doctor...etc

the best letters will be a mix of commentary on ones creative ability, knowledge, critical skills, motivation, communication skills with regards to research as well as a personal touch that gives the reader an idea of the applicant and their interaction with the PI. all of these don't have to be addressed explicitly - but if positive they would certainly help. many of these qualities are the very same that admission comittees look for in physicians. if the letter can attest to both sides of your application, all the better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just out of curiosity, PNP doesn't mean purine nucleoside phosphorulase does it?

LOL no it doesnt......i have no idea what it really means....it was the name of a scanner i once had

some schools have forms where you check boxes about the student's ability to think creativly, apply knowledge, and interpret data. Others just ask for a letter. If you are applying to certain schools try to find out what they want in a letter before having someone write one for you. My suggestion would be to call and ask the admissions offices or try to find it out on the websites or from students who applied previously. Also, most forms now have a release on them that you have to sign, stupid FERPA.

Many schools do have a form for secondaries, but they aren't essential. The pre-med office at my school received and sent out all my LORs, and so none of them were on the proper forms. I talked to a few program offices about this, and it wasn't a problem at any of them. Though it may give you an idea of what a specific program is looking for, I wouldn't worry about it.

johnnyrocket said:
Just out of curiosity, PNP doesn't mean purine nucleoside phosphorulase does it?

PNP also = para-Nitrophenol