Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Letters of rec!

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by ucsdpirate, Dec 30, 2008.

1. ucsdpirate

ucsdpirate usque ad finitum
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    hello everyone,
    I am going to be applying for the 2010 cycle and I am a little concerned about not having any LOR at the moment. I have a BA in psy and completed half of the sciences at CC and the rest at UCSD. Three psych professors already said they would write up awesome letters for me. By having a non-science degree do I still have to get 2 letters from science professors? Should I contact the schools i want to go to? Does a letters from a math professor count?

Anyone in the same boat?
    Thanks for your time!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. amalgamgrillz

Removed 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Yes, you still have to have science references - they expect you to get it from your pre-requisite course profs. I'm not sure if math counts since its applied science..they might be expecting bio/chem/physics profs..def look into it.

Does anyone know if you can have reference letters from science profs that DIDN'T teach you..like someone you did research for or something?

4. adizzle87

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    UDM told me that the prof has to teach you in order for them to accept your letter. I'm sure this is a very YMMV case. As for the PSYC prof LORs, they unfortunately won't count and I am sure that is the case for MATH as well. I would start interacting with your science professors come winter if you still have any courses left to take.

5. doc3232

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    If you did research for them, then then did teach you. these profs know you best.
    I think they just don't want to see random profs writing you letters, seems fishy.

6. UndergradGuy7

10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

Umm.. can't it be from any science professor pre-req or not? Wouldnt a letter from a cell bio or biochem professor be just as good as one from general bio or general chem?

7. amalgamgrillz

Removed 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    sure they can.

i was just assuming that with a non-science degree, he/she hadn't taken any other science courses than their pre-reqs.

8. Zubnaya Feya

Zubnaya Feya Combinator
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    To the thread starter:

Many schools want to have science professor letters of references...

But their requirements are a little bit broad, I think... For example, I was doing undergraduate research for one of the professors in Oral Bio department. I did not take any classes from him because he only teaches graduate courses. He knows me real well though. Would a letter from him be considered one of the required "science professors" letters?

I am guessing my question could be only answered if I actually go and call each of the schools I plan to apply to. :rolleyes: But if you have input, you are welcome to let me know:xf:

9. ucsdpirate

ucsdpirate usque ad finitum
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    any knowledge on CC profs writing LOR?

10. Zubnaya Feya

Zubnaya Feya Combinator
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    As far as I know those are ok but will not be looked at with as much respect.