Letters of rec!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucsdpirate

usque ad finitum
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone,
I am going to be applying for the 2010 cycle and I am a little concerned about not having any LOR at the moment. I have a BA in psy and completed half of the sciences at CC and the rest at UCSD. Three psych professors already said they would write up awesome letters for me. By having a non-science degree do I still have to get 2 letters from science professors? Should I contact the schools i want to go to? Does a letters from a math professor count?

Anyone in the same boat?
Thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

hello everyone,
I am going to be applying for the 2010 cycle and I am a little concerned about not having any LOR at the moment. I have a BA in psy and completed half of the sciences at CC and the rest at UCSD. Three psych professors already said they would write up awesome letters for me. By having a non-science degree do I still have to get 2 letters from science professors? Should I contact the schools i want to go to? Does a letters from a math professor count?

Anyone in the same boat?
Thanks for your time!

Yes, you still have to have science references - they expect you to get it from your pre-requisite course profs. I'm not sure if math counts since its applied science..they might be expecting bio/chem/physics profs..def look into it.

Does anyone know if you can have reference letters from science profs that DIDN'T teach you..like someone you did research for or something?

Yes, you still have to have science references - they expect you to get it from your pre-requisite course profs. I'm not sure if math counts since its applied science..they might be expecting bio/chem/physics profs..def look into it.

Does anyone know if you can have reference letters from science profs that DIDN'T teach you..like someone you did research for or something?

UDM told me that the prof has to teach you in order for them to accept your letter. I'm sure this is a very YMMV case. As for the PSYC prof LORs, they unfortunately won't count and I am sure that is the case for MATH as well. I would start interacting with your science professors come winter if you still have any courses left to take.

If you did research for them, then then did teach you. these profs know you best.
I think they just don't want to see random profs writing you letters, seems fishy.

Members don't see this ad :)

Umm.. can't it be from any science professor pre-req or not? Wouldnt a letter from a cell bio or biochem professor be just as good as one from general bio or general chem?

Umm.. can't it be from any science professor pre-req or not? Wouldnt a letter from a cell bio or biochem professor be just as good as one from general bio or general chem?

sure they can.

i was just assuming that with a non-science degree, he/she hadn't taken any other science courses than their pre-reqs.

To the thread starter:

Many schools want to have science professor letters of references...

But their requirements are a little bit broad, I think... For example, I was doing undergraduate research for one of the professors in Oral Bio department. I did not take any classes from him because he only teaches graduate courses. He knows me real well though. Would a letter from him be considered one of the required "science professors" letters?

I am guessing my question could be only answered if I actually go and call each of the schools I plan to apply to. :rolleyes: But if you have input, you are welcome to let me know:xf: