Letters of Reccomendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PvtPoncho

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have been out of school for a year and a half and I'm having difficulty tracking down a professor for my third letter. As it stands I have 2 strong letters from pharmacists I work with (currently working as a tech for a year). Should I just apply with that instead of waiting for a letter from a professor who probably doesn't remember me?

Members don't see this ad.

That depends on where you're applying since some schools require a letter from a prof. You could just email some profs, give them whatever info they need (resume, personal statement, etc) and see what happens!

Any other thoughts? I would love to hear about any other experiences that others have had. Also, on pharmcas a lot of schools have a required LOR type list, does that mean I need one of each, or just that the letters have to come from any one of those sources?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just depends on the school. For example if you look at University of Washington and Washington State University, they explicitly state that they require one LOR be from a professional source and one LOR be from an academic source. E-mail the school you're interested in and ask if you're uncertain. If they require one from an academic source and you do not have one, your application might be incomplete and they will not review it until they receive it.

I agree with the above. I've been out of school for a year and I asked one prof who I did a field experience with during my last year. She was actually very open to writing a letter for me so you might be surprised. I've even had a few friends who got into pharm school tell me they asked profs who they weren't really close with, but they did give them their resume/personal statement for reference and to help the prof with a letter.

As for the pharmcas list, I'd check each schools website for specifics. I always find they are more detailed on there.

Email every professor you have ever had in the science/math discipline individually if you got a A/B in the class. Explain your situation (I am applying for X for X admission, and they require X), and ask if they would be willing. If you are close to campus and can get their schedules, going in person may not hurt either.

I was in the same boat - and I'm still in school. I never get to know my profs really well because quite frankly I don't usually need office hours. I just started emailing everyone I could remember ever having during college, and I got someone who was willing, went into his office hours, gave him my resume/statement of purpose, and he wrote a really good one for me. Most professors who you have gotten an A/B for will be happy to unless you did something to really tick them off.

I would suggest calling the schools you're interested in. I was in the same boat but after I called my school, despite the fact that they said on PharmCAS that they do not allow non-science professors, they told me it's completely okay. In addition, they told me that if my reference didn't submit their letter by the deadline it was okay! Deadline is just when they start looking at the turned in applicants and they probably wouldn't get to mine until a week later.