Letters of recommendation for radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cooper

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an M3 making my first post to this site. I have heard that for radiology it is good to get 2 letters from radiologists and the other one from something like surgery or medicine. Does anyone know more about this and whether it would be better to have a recommendation from a surgeon or IM physician?

Members don't see this ad.

I have one great letter from a radiologist, 2 from IM attendings, and one from the Chair of Anatomy on my behalf as an anatomy TA at my school. I've been told that a letter from the Director of Radiology from your school is the best to get. However, if it's not going to be very good, I'd rather get a hold of a great letter from a lesser attending. The question of two letters from radiologist better than one? I dunno, maybe. However, I have 10 interviews so far and hoping for more. Good luck.

The most important thing is that the letters are strong. It makes sense that at least one of your letters will come from an attending in your chosen field--I had one from a radiologist and two internal medicine people and I have 11 interviews so far (in rads). I think of LOR like the personal statement in a way in that most everyone is going to have great LOR/good personal statement...these only become important when someone writes in your LOR that you're psychotic, or you go off the handle in your personal statement (i.e. attaching an image of your own chest x-ray or something).