vensun

10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
Status
Here's my issue - I asked a former professor for a recommendation and received a very enthusiastic reply. However, he says that he is busy, and will happily sign a letter that I write myself.

I know this isn't too uncommon - a friend of mine is applying to Law School and ran into this same situation.

I would like to have someone write glowing praises about me, but there's no way I would write something about myself that goes anywhere beyond utilitarian.

Has anyone here had to write their own recommendation? How do you approach such a situation?

juniper456

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
Status
get over it-- write yourself a glowing recommendation! this is a great chance to emphasize all the things you think the program you're applying to really wants to hear. are they big on "humanitarian" work? write about your enthusiasm for volunteering. what about "intellectual curiosity"? write about how you're a self-starter, a ponderer of the mysteries of the universe, etc.

no worries, just write what they want to hear. :thumbup:

Sundarban1

Devil in disguise
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
MA
Status
Medical Student
vensun said:
Here's my issue - I asked a former professor for a recommendation and received a very enthusiastic reply. However, he says that he is busy, and will happily sign a letter that I write myself.

I know this isn't too uncommon - a friend of mine is applying to Law School and ran into this same situation.

I would like to have someone write glowing praises about me, but there's no way I would write something about myself that goes anywhere beyond utilitarian.

Has anyone here had to write their own recommendation? How do you approach such a situation?
Everyone is busy. The point of the letter is to bring out someone else's perspective of you, one that you may not necessarily see yourself. If this person has no time to reflect on you as a person, I would not take the time to write a letter for them. You've already wrote essay upon essay, you don't want to sound too one demensional. Find another professor who actually cares for you and will take the 10 minutes to write you a letter. :mad:

About the Ads