Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Butters Stotch

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I am third year medical student interested in radiology. Will be doing an elective soon and will be asking for a Letter of Recommendation. For this should I ask for the standardized letter that was put forth by AUR or a personalized letter? Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all, I am third year medical student interested in radiology. Will be doing an elective soon and will be asking for a Letter of Recommendation. For this should I ask for the standardized letter that was put forth by AUR or a personalized letter? Thank you in advance!
No one I know used that AUR letter and many didn't even know it existed.

Hopefully others can chime in with their experience.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think it matters much, LORs are quite variable. The biggest things with letters are to have someone who knows you well and can honestly give a recommendation of what you've done or where you are in relation to your peers. Bonus if it's someone who is active in local/academic circles that you are aiming for, because programs will see letters from these writers year after year and it means more if the PD at a regional powerhouse says you are top 10% of students they've worked with, rather than some private practice rad 2 years into practice who has worked with maybe 2-3 students a year.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Say if my only option is to work with a proactive practice doc, can I still get a letter from him if I can’t officially set up a rotation with him through my school (one of many pitfalls of going to a DO school).

Also, do you need a LOR from a radiologist?

Say if my only option is to work with a proactive practice doc, can I still get a letter from him if I can’t officially set up a rotation with him through my school (one of many pitfalls of going to a DO school).

Also, do you need a LOR from a radiologist?
You should have one letter from a radiologist. As a DO student you would likely benefit from doing an away rotation at a near by academic program and getting a letter from them. Even better if you can do a small project such as ACR case in point or a case report while you are there.