Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Butters Stotch

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all, I am third year medical student interested in radiology. Will be doing an elective soon and will be asking for a Letter of Recommendation. For this should I ask for the standardized letter that was put forth by AUR or a personalized letter? Thank you in advance!
 
Hello all, I am third year medical student interested in radiology. Will be doing an elective soon and will be asking for a Letter of Recommendation. For this should I ask for the standardized letter that was put forth by AUR or a personalized letter? Thank you in advance!
No one I know used that AUR letter and many didn't even know it existed.

Hopefully others can chime in with their experience.
 
I don't think it matters much, LORs are quite variable. The biggest things with letters are to have someone who knows you well and can honestly give a recommendation of what you've done or where you are in relation to your peers. Bonus if it's someone who is active in local/academic circles that you are aiming for, because programs will see letters from these writers year after year and it means more if the PD at a regional powerhouse says you are top 10% of students they've worked with, rather than some private practice rad 2 years into practice who has worked with maybe 2-3 students a year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Say if my only option is to work with a proactive practice doc, can I still get a letter from him if I can’t officially set up a rotation with him through my school (one of many pitfalls of going to a DO school).

Also, do you need a LOR from a radiologist?
 
Say if my only option is to work with a proactive practice doc, can I still get a letter from him if I can’t officially set up a rotation with him through my school (one of many pitfalls of going to a DO school).

Also, do you need a LOR from a radiologist?
You should have one letter from a radiologist. As a DO student you would likely benefit from doing an away rotation at a near by academic program and getting a letter from them. Even better if you can do a small project such as ACR case in point or a case report while you are there.