Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nathanieldeguzman831

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am applying next month. I was wondering if there is an unwritten rule on LOR. I know admissions prefer a committee letter as it’s advantageous to have that as well as read one comprehensive letter compared to many professor letters. But, what about letters from doctors I work with. As much as I would love to have 6 doctors write letters for me, what’s like the appropriate amount.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,
I am applying next month. I was wondering if there is an unwritten rule on LOR. I know admissions prefer a committee letter as it’s advantageous to have that as well as read one comprehensive letter compared to many professor letters. But, what about letters from doctors I work with. As much as I would love to have 6 doctors write letters for me, what’s like the appropriate amount.
Almost all Dental schools don’t require LORs from dentists. However if you’re nontrad, one LOR might not be a bad idea.

I usually recommend having 2 sci profs, one within major, a supervisor letter like Pi of research lab or volunteer work or just a job, and then a non sci prof or a dentist letter. Usually that will cover almost all prereqs.

If your school does committee letters, most dental schools will expect that and not individual letters. But it doesn’t hurt to reach out and ask schools.

6 doctors is overkill, I wouldn’t send more than 5 letters total to a school

But do the research yourself, ask schools and see what they say. Everyone’s different

Almost all Dental schools don’t require LORs from dentists. However if you’re nontrad, one LOR might not be a bad idea.

I usually recommend having 2 sci profs, one within major, a supervisor letter like Pi of research lab or volunteer work or just a job, and then a non sci prof or a dentist letter. Usually that will cover almost all prereqs.

If your school does committee letters, most dental schools will expect that and not individual letters. But it doesn’t hurt to reach out and ask schools.

6 doctors is overkill, I wouldn’t send more than 5 letters total to a school

But do the research yourself, ask schools and see what they say. Everyone’s different

What constitutes a non traditional dental applicant

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, ya'll!
I'm in a tough spot where I'm not particularly close with any of my professors except for one. I'm trying to still figure out the second letter of recommendation, and I happened to take organic chemistry 1 and 2 over the summer I went into my Ochem 1's professor's office hours every day and genuinely showed interest and learned the material. However, I did ochem in a different university (it's still a 4 year though) over the summer apart from the one I'm graduating from, and I was wondering if she could count as one of my letters of science professor recommendation.

Hey, ya'll!
I'm in a tough spot where I'm not particularly close with any of my professors except for one. I'm trying to still figure out the second letter of recommendation, and I happened to take organic chemistry 1 and 2 over the summer I went into my Ochem 1's professor's office hours every day and genuinely showed interest and learned the material. However, I did ochem in a different university (it's still a 4 year though) over the summer apart from the one I'm graduating from, and I was wondering if she could count as one of my letters of science professor recommendation.
it's fine...

Hey, ya'll!
Yes it’s fine