Letters of Recommendation

Started by Pril
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Pril

Member
7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I looked up Freida, and it states that three letters of recommendation are required, but do all three letters have to be from radiologists (I am applying for radiology) or is it preferred that they be from radiologist or for example can two be from radiologists and a third from an internist for example. I am thinking about the letter from the internist so it can help me for the transitional year?
 
Pril said:
I looked up Freida, and it states that three letters of recommendation are required, but do all three letters have to be from radiologists (I am applying for radiology) or is it preferred that they be from radiologist or for example can two be from radiologists and a third from an internist for example. I am thinking about the letter from the internist so it can help me for the transitional year?

Three LORs from radiologists is not good. You need to know a lot of medicine and surgery to do well in radiology and a lot of PDs look for recommendations from outside the field. I would say that one LOR from a radiologists is necessary and sufficient. You can get the other two from attendings in other fields. Two from radiologists is considered OK too.
 
Pril said:
I looked up Freida, and it states that three letters of recommendation are required, but do all three letters have to be from radiologists (I am applying for radiology) or is it preferred that they be from radiologist or for example can two be from radiologists and a third from an internist for example. I am thinking about the letter from the internist so it can help me for the transitional year?

You need three, but I would shoot for four (maybe more) because there are ways to select the better letters for release. My advice would be two radiology letters... one from a radiologist (famous or not) that knows you well and will write a letter stating what a great person you are etc in addition to your potential as a radiologist, the second (ideally) from a famous radiologist/dept. chair. The other two letters from medicine and surgery.

Try to avoid getting all "big name" letters. I have seen people get burned because while the person writing may be well known, the letter may be poor at best if they dont really know you.