Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MacVA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I had a question about letters of recommendation for medical school actually moreso who to get this letters from. I am currently enrolled in PHYSICS II with the same professor as I took for PHYSICS I (received an A). I have gotten to know this professor extremely well and she has thanked me for helping tutor others in the class. Herein lies my problem - she does not have a PHD. How important is this for LOR's? I have always been told that it is extremely important to get them from PHD holding professors. Also, I have no idea who I would get my second science letter from... I never really interacted with any of my other science professors...

For my non - science letter, I am going to use a accounting professor from my undergraduate institution. I know it will be an extremely well written letter.

Anyone have some advice for me? Should I also include a volunteering LOR?

Macva

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure about your specific schools or state. However, I had one of my strongest letters from my physics professor (from a community college even) but he was chair of the department for like 40 years or something. Either way, he did not have a PhD.

That is also the only letter I had from a professor, well my research director had been my professor years back, so maybe thats two. My other letters didn't even come from academia at all. The others were physicians I shadowed and a politician :eek:.

Take it for what its worth. :)

I had two from science professors, one from my volunteering, and one from my work.

The LOR from the physics lady is fine. I would make an attempt to get to know one of the professors you made an A in their class.

This case is exactly what I preach about on here.....everyone prepares hard for the academics and put no thought into the other parts of the app until it is too late to build it properly.

A little planning goes a long way.

OP, not trying to bash...I just answer the same questions over and over again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Letters are an intuitive process. An an equally opportunistic enterprise. As the Dub said.

PHD sure. But it's gotta say something. Regardless who says it. So you balance who you vibe well with--who you feel is supportive--with who would be able to qualify your attributes as they pertain to medicine. Nerd numchuk skills. People skills. Like that.

Then it might come to. Who's willing to write you the pain-the-ass thing.

There is absolutely nothing nerdy about nunchaku skills, or bo skills. I had a few gangs looking at me for mine, but I spent my time in Alaska hunting wolverines. I shot like 50 of them, they were trying to attack my cousins, what would you do in that situation?!?

There is absolutely nothing nerdy about nunchaku skills, or bo skills. I had a few gangs looking at me for mine, but I spent my time in Alaska hunting wolverines. I shot like 50 of them, they were trying to attack my cousins, what would you do in that situation?!?

:laugh: