letters of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

artsydoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like a lot of non trads my prereqs are scattered. I took gen chem, o chem and physics too long ago to be able to ask for letters but am just now finishing up bio and anatomy and am wondering if it is appropriate to ask for letters from professors I've only taken 1 quarter of course work from. One bio prof. actually knows me from lab as well as lecture so I feel fairly comfortable asking, but the anatomy prof is actually an MD so I'd love to get a rec from him too. I doubt he knows who I am although he'll most likely recognize my face because I always sit in the front! The final prof I might ask is very high profile, head of dept and premed advisor, but like the rest, just 1 quarter with her. She doesn't know me personally but I was as active in class as was appropriate asking/answering questions. I've done very well in the sequence, high A's. Any advice or thoughts? It's much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Like a lot of non trads my prereqs are scattered. I took gen chem, o chem and physics too long ago to be able to ask for letters but am just now finishing up bio and anatomy and am wondering if it is appropriate to ask for letters from professors I've only taken 1 quarter of course work from. One bio prof. actually knows me from lab as well as lecture so I feel fairly comfortable asking, but the anatomy prof is actually an MD so I'd love to get a rec from him too. I doubt he knows who I am although he'll most likely recognize my face because I always sit in the front! The final prof I might ask is very high profile, head of dept and premed advisor, but like the rest, just 1 quarter with her. She doesn't know me personally but I was as active in class as was appropriate asking/answering questions. I've done very well in the sequence, high A's. Any advice or thoughts? It's much appreciated.

Like you, I was forced to get letters from profs that I had only taken one class. It worked out fine and I got great letters. Just give them a resume/cv so they have some things to talk about in the letter.

i got letters from my year sequence of physics prof. (took both classes with him)
and a new professor who's only taught me one semester..
oh, the nerves i felt after asking me for a letter, without knowing my grade in the course.