letters of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quik

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For us non-trads, does anybody have any guidance to offer as far as who to begin cultivating relationships with for letters of recommendation?

It's been nearly a decade since my undergrad, 5 years since grad school, and although I should be able to call on my grad advisor for a letter, I am somewhat stumped on who else I should ask from my past for a LOR. I am beginning to cultivate relationships with several people who should be able to help, but I'm still unsure from where the best LORs should come for a non-trad with little health care exposure.

I am volunteering a ton with an adaptive ski program, teaching people with disabilities how to ski (sit-ski mostly) and am building some excellent relationships through that. So far, an orthopaedic surgeon who is a fellow volunteer, the program director (a paralegic mono-skier and former olympian), and possibly a client of the program (a retired psychiatrist with muscular dystrophy). I have a year plus of post-bacc to do, so hopefully I build a good relationship with the university's pre-med advisor also.

How does these LOR sources sound? Would anybody recommend anything different? How did you other non-trads fulfill your LOR requirement being so far removed from your undergrad?

Members don't see this ad.

i understand what you are saying, and honestly, i am playing the game. what i mean is i am taking biochemistry and have one science prof i am positive will write me an excellent LOR, and a couple that may remember me, but i had one class with 100 other students with them. i am basically sucking up to my biochemistry professor. i am doing it in a way so it isn't obvious, but i need another good science letter. that is about all you can do. or go back to the people that you are sure would remember you.

You're going to need one or two letters of recommendation from your post-bacc professors to cover the academic side of things. I would recommend against going to your undergraduate or graduate professors for letters, as med schools want to know about whether you, presently, can handle the courseload. If you are attending a structured post-bacc program, I would think your professors are very experienced at writing letters for non-traditional applicants, even though you may not really get to know them, so don't let a feeling that they won't know you well stop you from at least asking if they could write positive letters of recommendation.

Definitely get letters through your volunteering, as you described. If you get any shadowing opportunities or clinical experiences, those would be good routes for letters as well.

For me, I had letters from my post-bacc bio lecturer and lab instructor to cover my academics. I also asked my orgo prof for a letter, but that fell through. What I consider to be my primary letter came from my manager at work, who has known me for seven years. I supplemented these with a letter from the director of the first aid service team program I volunteer with.

Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
i understand what you are saying, and honestly, i am playing the game. what i mean is i am taking biochemistry and have one science prof i am positive will write me an excellent LOR, and a couple that may remember me, but i had one class with 100 other students with them. i am basically sucking up to my biochemistry professor. i am doing it in a way so it isn't obvious, but i need another good science letter. that is about all you can do. or go back to the people that you are sure would remember you.

Doing the same with my OChem and had an A&N prof who adored me. It's the non-science I'm a little concerned about. I'm reluctant to ask my current management since they still know nothing of the change, and there is no point in quitting before I need to.

Definitely consider taking a science class right now just so that you can get a LOR.

Also consider shadowing a physician for 50+ hours then asking for a LOR.

---

I disagree with the statement "I would recommend against going to your undergraduate or graduate professors for letters, as med schools want to know about whether you, presently, can handle the courseload." Graduate school is presumably a major experience in your life, so it would be weird not to have a letter from your grad advisor. Many med school faculty are researchers who have graduate students of their own, and they place a letter from your grad advisor in high esteem.

But by all means, remember that you can send different letters to different schools, and many schools will accept more letters than they require. Mix and match the letters as you see fit!

Definitely consider taking a science class right now just so that you can get a LOR.

Also consider shadowing a physician for 50+ hours then asking for a LOR.

Well, I am taking a science class at the moment, my first 2 actually, but they are at a CC (just my 2 of my very general sciences) and will be at a Uni next term. I should also mention I am at the beginning of my suite of pre-reqs and intend to apply for the 2013 cycle; so I have plenty of time to cultivate some relationships w/ more esteemed profs. The physician I am really trying to get into shadow w/ is a fellow volunteer at the adaptive ski program, who is a orthopaedic surgeon, primarily practicing on disabled kids, such as those with cerebral paulsy. This aligns very closely with my interests and intended (right now anyway) area of specialization.

---

I disagree with the statement "I would recommend against going to your undergraduate or graduate professors for letters, as med schools want to know about whether you, presently, can handle the courseload." Graduate school is presumably a major experience in your life, so it would be weird not to have a letter from your grad advisor. Many med school faculty are researchers who have graduate students of their own, and they place a letter from your grad advisor in high esteem.

I'm feeling that way as well. I know I have two very solid letters I can count on, that regardless of time passed, these profs will remember me with a positive account of my time, energy, and success put forth in their grad program. I guess those were the only two I was sure was a good idea.

I suppose I was mostly curious if anyone thought a program director (disabled former olympian) for my primary volunteer organization (Disabled Sports USA - Adaptive Ski program) and a client of the program (retired psychologist) were good choices for letters. Anybody have an opinion?

I suppose I was mostly curious if anyone thought a program director (disabled former olympian) for my primary volunteer organization (Disabled Sports USA - Adaptive Ski program) and a client of the program (retired psychologist) were good choices for letters. Anybody have an opinion?

I think those are good choices for letters.

Certainly if you feel your grad advisors remember you well enough to provide strong recommendations, solicit letters from them. (In fact, at least one program I know of wants letters from all of your PIs.) But I still stand by my point that those are testaments to your academic capabilities five years ago. A letter of more recent provenance that shows you are still capable of academic achievement can only strengthen your application.

Quik,

Great ideas for LOR writers. Normally, schools wants to see at least 3 Academic LORs. Two Science, one non-science.

Hope this helps.

A letter of more recent provenance that shows you are still capable of academic achievement can only strengthen your application.

Agreed, its absolutely necessary. Recruiting said letter source is really where I need to focus.

p.s. Congrats on your acceptance! You were hoping to stay in Wisconsin, correct?

p.s. Congrats on your acceptance! You were hoping to stay in Wisconsin, correct?

Thanks! My hopes really were to just get in anywhere. :) But yes, I did prefer to stay in the Midwest--although I still feel the pull of the East Coast.

I think your department head would be one of the folks that you can go to for an LOR. They will be more than willing to help you out on this one.

This is actually my biggest concern these days. I'm stretched so thin I just don't have the time to develop relationships with potential letter writers.

My question is not so much how to get letters, but is it best to use one of the online places for them to be submitted? I know there are random schools that require the paper copy to be mailed to them, but I am just wondering if people have an opinion on the online services like interfolio? I am about to start asking my peeps for their letters again, and would like to have something set up for them to hopefully not have to mail them a bunch of places.

Interfolio is indispensable. Get letters anytime, feeds into amcas easily, use in subsequent years if needed, dirt cheap. A real no-brainer. The best part is being able to secure letters early in the spring when amcas letter service is unavailable. If applying d.o. also, amcAS will NOT send letters to osteopathic schools.

No, those need to go to AACOMAS I would expect, I was assuming I'd have to submit twice... hopefully not individually to all the DO schools...

Are there other services or is interfolio the only one?

No, those need to go to AACOMAS I would expect, I was assuming I'd have to submit twice... hopefully not individually to all the DO schools...

Are there other services or is interfolio the only one?

Interfolio is almost assumed by many schools. They will download the letters directly from there. AACOMAS is integrated with them. There is no reason to use anything but Interfolio. It is cheap and indispensable.

Thanks! I already did a 3yr membership, figuring if I get in this cycle GREAT, if not, I have the letters for as long as my MCAT is good ;)

How do you guys think I should handle this situation:

I graduated UG in 2006 and was planning on taking a year or two off and then to apply, well here I am now 5 years later and plan to apply in a year or two pending MCAT but am curious how I should update my letters. I believe (it has been a few years) I have 2 doctors which I worked with, a biochem teacher and not sure who the other one was. Do I just email them and ask them to resubmit their letter with updated info on me? I saw a post that recommended taking a science class to get an updated science LOR, would an employer work in lieu of that? I've been working for a biotech/pharma company the past few years and have a good relationship with my bosses.

Interested in your guy's thoughts, thanks in advance

How do you guys think I should handle this situation:

I graduated UG in 2006 and was planning on taking a year or two off and then to apply, well here I am now 5 years later and plan to apply in a year or two pending MCAT but am curious how I should update my letters. I believe (it has been a few years) I have 2 doctors which I worked with, a biochem teacher and not sure who the other one was. Do I just email them and ask them to resubmit their letter with updated info on me? I saw a post that recommended taking a science class to get an updated science LOR, would an employer work in lieu of that? I've been working for a biotech/pharma company the past few years and have a good relationship with my bosses.

Interested in your guy's thoughts, thanks in advance

I guess my question is whether or not your professors would remember you? I am lucky that I went to a small state school, and my profs remember me from 12 years ago. Ok, maybe I'm memorable, but either way, they remember me. Additionally, I have taken recent coursework, and they are able to write letters based on that.

I also wonder why you didn't apply then? What was the reason? If it was academic, you should think about taking a couple of courses and seeing if you can get those profs to write letters. Remember that depending on the school, you may need up to three letters from professors, some schools require two science, some one science, one humanities, so to cover your bases, you'd need three. Your employer does not cover a science professor because they do not have a grasp of your academic ability. I was just looking on KCUMB's site last night, and it specifically stated the letters could not be more than 2 years old. If they were, they weren't acceptable. I have a feeling they would know that the letter was from 2006, and that may exceed their limits. Not sure though...

FWIW, I had to contact my psych prof that I've taken one class from and ask for a letter. He's the only current humanities prof I have, and while he doesn't know me from anyone, he did like my work in his class, so I'm hoping/wishing/praying he'll write one, otherwise, I'm not sure who I'd ask...

I guess my question is whether or not your professors would remember you? I am lucky that I went to a small state school, and my profs remember me from 12 years ago. Ok, maybe I'm memorable, but either way, they remember me. Additionally, I have taken recent coursework, and they are able to write letters based on that.

I also wonder why you didn't apply then? What was the reason? If it was academic, you should think about taking a couple of courses and seeing if you can get those profs to write letters. Remember that depending on the school, you may need up to three letters from professors, some schools require two science, some one science, one humanities, so to cover your bases, you'd need three. Your employer does not cover a science professor because they do not have a grasp of your academic ability. I was just looking on KCUMB's site last night, and it specifically stated the letters could not be more than 2 years old. If they were, they weren't acceptable. I have a feeling they would know that the letter was from 2006, and that may exceed their limits. Not sure though...

FWIW, I had to contact my psych prof that I've taken one class from and ask for a letter. He's the only current humanities prof I have, and while he doesn't know me from anyone, he did like my work in his class, so I'm hoping/wishing/praying he'll write one, otherwise, I'm not sure who I'd ask...

I was thinking of taking some classes and perhaps even an SMP (as my UG grades are my weakness) and apply within a year or two after graduating but I did enjoy the freedom, excitement and challenge of work (the pay check didn't hurt especially considering what I was making as a student employee) well a year or two turned into 5. Funny how time flies. I feel it was a good experience and has helped developed my scientific and analytical skills although I could already be in school now anyways...

I guess I should look into specific programs I am interested and see what their policy is. How long ago were you removed from your psych class before contacting your professor again? Unfortunately, I doubt any of my professors remember as I went to a fairly large UC although my other letter writers should. I guess it doesn't hurt to send an awkward, hey how's it going email to get the letter updated?