letters to deans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

annh31

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a search for a similar thread and I couldn't find anything. But, I was just wondering what you guys wrote in letters to Deans of Admissions regarding ways to improve your application for the next time you apply. I kind of want to ask if they'd recommend that I apply for the next cycle, or if I should sit out a full year and then reapply, (if I reapply at all) but how do I say that???

thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

annh31 said:
I kind of want to ask if they'd recommend that I apply for the next cycle, or if I should sit out a full year and then reapply, (if I reapply at all) but how do I say that???
Personally, I don't think they will answer this question, or any question where the answer could be interpreted (or misinterpreted) as them giving you advice or suggesting what your chances might be if you reapplied.

IMHO, I think what would be most appropriate is a very brief and polite letter, thanking them for considering you, and asking what they feel are areas you could improve. Hopefully, based on their answer, along with feedback from you advisors, you can assess whether you should reapply now or wait a year.

I don't think you will do the following. But for completeness, let me add that this type of letter shouldn't include anything controversial, especially asking for reconsideration, rationalizations about your deficiencies, excuses about any poor performances, or negative comments about the process, yourself, or anyone else. Keep in mind that this letter is likely to become part of your premanent file, and will likely be read again when you reapply.