Letters to Get for Pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathER

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. Just curious what the typical pathology residency application looks like as far as LORs are concerned. I was thinking of getting 1 Surgeon and two Pathologists. Or 1 surgeon, 1 GP, and 1 Pathologist. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I got LORs from a chief pathologist, chief surgeron, and chief cardiologist...lots of chiefs.

I have an additonal LOR from an internist if needed. On average, how many LORs are programs asking for? Is it standard or program specific?

anencephalic said:
I got LORs from a chief pathologist, chief surgeron, and chief cardiologist...lots of chiefs.

I have an additonal LOR from an internist if needed. On average, how many LORs are programs asking for? Is it standard or program specific?

3 LORs from the research I've done on path programs. Some (U. Wash) require all 3 letters to support your path abilities.

I'm getting my LOR from 2 path, 1 research, and surgeon/internist if needed.

Members don't see this ad :)
The program director at UCSF suggested that I have at least two Path letters and an additional letter. I went ahead and submitted a letter from my Medicine clerkship director and the Chief of Trauma Surgery and Crit Care in addition to my two path letters, for a total of 4. I was told to only acquire a research a letter if it was extensive (ie a year-long project or PhD) or directly applicable to your field of interest, but I could be mistaken.

Generally you want at least one pathologist. Other than that, get the letters which will be the best. A letter from a bigwig who doesn't know you probably won't do much.

For most programs, you need 3 letters total. One from a pathologist is a minimum. Two might be nice. Three, all from pathology, may be overkill.

That being said, you want strong letters...but I don't think they are absolutely required for securing an interview. I've read quite a handful of generic, what seems to be canned letters that are only like 4 paragraphs long. Half of the letter describes the rotation and the requirements. Then it goes into saying how the student exceeded those expectations and then of course there are a few sprinkles of descriptors of the applicant's personal qualities. But nothing in these letters blow your socks off. But I guess these letters are good enough to get people interviews. And then at that point, what matters is not the letters but how one performs on the interviews.

Moral: Just get your letters. If one is awesome, more power to ya.