Coursework & Fieldwork Level 2 Fieldwork- going "far away"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

how2dresswell

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any current OT students thinking about doing level 2 fieldwork in another city? Or has anyone on here done it already? I'm from MA in my first year of OT grad program. I'm highly considering doing my level 2 fieldwork in another city, such as Chicago.

I know it's a pretty popular decision by OT students from a variety of schools. Just curious on how you went about living somewhere else for 6 months, and how the experience was overall.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I am not in school yet (start this summer) but I have volunteered/interned at two places here in San Diego where I live and both had students from all over. One was from Wisconsin, one from Pennsylvania. So it's definitely doable probably depending on your fieldwork associations and if it's been done as a precedent in your program before. If you're interested in San Diego peds let me know.

Hello! I am not in school yet (start this summer) but I have volunteered/interned at two places here in San Diego where I live and both had students from all over. One was from Wisconsin, one from Pennsylvania. So it's definitely doable probably depending on your fieldwork associations and if it's been done as a precedent in your program before. If you're interested in San Diego peds let me know.

Awesome, it actually won't be for pediatrics, but San Diego is definitely one of my cities of consideration. Did the out-of-staters just find temporary leasing on their own?

If you know what city, you can check out furnished rooms on Craigslist. Just a warning, in many states ads featuring low rent are actually scammers. When I first graduated from college, I slept on an air mattress for a couple years after college graduation, so that could be an option for you if you don't find a furnished place and are far from home. There's also a couple roommate finder websites, but I'm not sure how reliable those are.

My experience is that apartment complexes or places where you live by yourself are difficult to find if you aren't signing a six month or year lease.