Step I Levinson Vs. Ridiculously Simple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cassieandcheeta

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has used Levinson's "Medical Microbiology and Immunology" book instead of "Ridiculously Simple"? I only have the 7th edition and was wondering if it wasn't too outdated? Do you guys think I should buy the new 9th edition? I would really really appreciate anyone's feedback on this. Thank you!
 
I used the 7th edition for the immuno section and then went through CMMRS, so I can't really comment on the micro section of Levinson. But I will probably read through the tables of medically important organisms in the back of Levinson before I am finished studying. I would say, if anything, Levinson has too much info. It is probably 400 pages of small font, no pictures. But I think it is a good text.
 
IMHO, the styles of these books couldn't be more different.

I used Levinson off and on during the year, and it's really good - lucid explanations, good amount of detail. Too long for board review, though, IMO.

CMMRS is like watching a Woody Allen movie - some people think it's hilarious and love it, and others find it torture. Personally, I could never get into CMMRS - just too slapstick for me, although some of the visual mnemonics are quite good.

After using a few different micro books throughout the year, in the end I came to feel like FA + Uworld was pretty complete for my micro review. I did read HY Micro and found it gave me enough of a refresher for some of the genetics and mechanisms of bugs.
 
First Aid is invaluable for Micro
I used Levinson's for Immunology -- high yield!
CMMRS -- not a fan of it but some others are.

However, I'm only a 1st year -- but, I used the top 2 along with a lecture manual for micro and did real well -- CMMRS was a waste of time for me (borrowed it for a night from a classmate)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I like CMMRS but I feel you need a better source to learn micro from. I haven't seen the Levinson book, but I am trying to get the new edition now (the new edition is the 10th edition, which just came out a few days ago....so don't buy the 9th if you want a new edition)

FA uses Levinson a lot as a source for pictures....so I imagine that's a good sign? I like CMMRS's first few chapters....not a huge fan of the rest.