Levinson Vs. Ridiculously Simple

Discussion in 'Step I' started by cassieandcheeta, May 17, 2008.

1. cassieandcheeta

2+ Year Member

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has used Levinson's "Medical Microbiology and Immunology" book instead of "Ridiculously Simple"? I only have the 7th edition and was wondering if it wasn't too outdated? Do you guys think I should buy the new 9th edition? I would really really appreciate anyone's feedback on this. Thank you!

2. tfom08

2+ Year Member

I used the 7th edition for the immuno section and then went through CMMRS, so I can't really comment on the micro section of Levinson. But I will probably read through the tables of medically important organisms in the back of Levinson before I am finished studying. I would say, if anything, Levinson has too much info. It is probably 400 pages of small font, no pictures. But I think it is a good text.

3. DragonWell

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    IMHO, the styles of these books couldn't be more different.

I used Levinson off and on during the year, and it's really good - lucid explanations, good amount of detail. Too long for board review, though, IMO.

CMMRS is like watching a Woody Allen movie - some people think it's hilarious and love it, and others find it torture. Personally, I could never get into CMMRS - just too slapstick for me, although some of the visual mnemonics are quite good.

After using a few different micro books throughout the year, in the end I came to feel like FA + Uworld was pretty complete for my micro review. I did read HY Micro and found it gave me enough of a refresher for some of the genetics and mechanisms of bugs.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Doctor4Life1769

Doctor4Life1769 **tr0llin, ridin dirty**
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    First Aid is invaluable for Micro
    I used Levinson's for Immunology -- high yield!
    CMMRS -- not a fan of it but some others are.

However, I'm only a 1st year -- but, I used the top 2 along with a lecture manual for micro and did real well -- CMMRS was a waste of time for me (borrowed it for a night from a classmate)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. lord_jeebus

lord_jeebus 和魂洋才
    Moderator Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Levinson is great for Immuno! For Micro it is too much.

The questions in the back aren't in true boards format, but they are very much worth doing.

6. TheJiggler

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I like CMMRS but I feel you need a better source to learn micro from. I haven't seen the Levinson book, but I am trying to get the new edition now (the new edition is the 10th edition, which just came out a few days ago....so don't buy the 9th if you want a new edition)

FA uses Levinson a lot as a source for pictures....so I imagine that's a good sign? I like CMMRS's first few chapters....not a huge fan of the rest.