Levinson Vs. Ridiculously Simple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cassieandcheeta

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has used Levinson's "Medical Microbiology and Immunology" book instead of "Ridiculously Simple"? I only have the 7th edition and was wondering if it wasn't too outdated? Do you guys think I should buy the new 9th edition? I would really really appreciate anyone's feedback on this. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I used the 7th edition for the immuno section and then went through CMMRS, so I can't really comment on the micro section of Levinson. But I will probably read through the tables of medically important organisms in the back of Levinson before I am finished studying. I would say, if anything, Levinson has too much info. It is probably 400 pages of small font, no pictures. But I think it is a good text.

IMHO, the styles of these books couldn't be more different.

I used Levinson off and on during the year, and it's really good - lucid explanations, good amount of detail. Too long for board review, though, IMO.

CMMRS is like watching a Woody Allen movie - some people think it's hilarious and love it, and others find it torture. Personally, I could never get into CMMRS - just too slapstick for me, although some of the visual mnemonics are quite good.

After using a few different micro books throughout the year, in the end I came to feel like FA + Uworld was pretty complete for my micro review. I did read HY Micro and found it gave me enough of a refresher for some of the genetics and mechanisms of bugs.

First Aid is invaluable for Micro
I used Levinson's for Immunology -- high yield!
CMMRS -- not a fan of it but some others are.

However, I'm only a 1st year -- but, I used the top 2 along with a lecture manual for micro and did real well -- CMMRS was a waste of time for me (borrowed it for a night from a classmate)

Members don't see this ad :)
I like CMMRS but I feel you need a better source to learn micro from. I haven't seen the Levinson book, but I am trying to get the new edition now (the new edition is the 10th edition, which just came out a few days ago....so don't buy the 9th if you want a new edition)

FA uses Levinson a lot as a source for pictures....so I imagine that's a good sign? I like CMMRS's first few chapters....not a huge fan of the rest.