sketchy micro vs usmle simple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usmleraptor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So guys i plan to start with microbiology for Step 1. Just wanted to know which one is better for grasping material and relatively well rounded. Please help :)

Members don't see this ad.

So guys i plan to start with microbiology for Step 1. Just wanted to know which one is better for grasping material and relatively well rounded. Please help :)

I have personally never heard of neither. This made me go check both of them out. I can say that I liked both. The USMLE Simple was a fairly simple version of a slideshow powerpoint presentation with a lecturer explaining (something we are all very familiar with in school) but the plus point about this is that it is that they also provide a powerpoint slide for each topic and the price is right. Like seriously $20 shouldn't hurt anyone, ever. As for Sketchy Micro I was impressed, it is visual memory which stimulates a whole new way of learning by drawing out everything in vivid sketches. I like the concept for Sketchy but the truth is they BOTH are still incomplete in the courses they present and that is understandable because they are new Medical Educational companies in the making and that takes time. The negative point I have to make about Sketchy is that they only offer 2 options which is the 6 month for $100 and the 12 month plan for $160. I feel like if they had a 2 or 3 month plan that would be better cause I don't think people will go over Micro for 6 months especially if the total hours of videos are 10 hrs only.

In the end it's down to personal preference I would say.
But still First Aid covers all the info both these provided and more.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have personally never heard of neither. This made me go check both of them out. I can say that I liked both. The USMLE Simple was a fairly simple version of a slideshow powerpoint presentation with a lecturer explaining (something we are all very familiar with in school) but the plus point about this is that it is that they also provide a powerpoint slide for each topic and the price is right. Like seriously $20 shouldn't hurt anyone, ever. As for Sketchy Micro I was impressed, it is visual memory which stimulates a whole new way of learning by drawing out everything in vivid sketches. I like the concept for Sketchy but the truth is they BOTH are still incomplete in the courses they present and that is understandable because they are new Medical Educational companies in the making and that takes time. The negative point I have to make about Sketchy is that they only offer 2 options which is the 6 month for $100 and the 12 month plan for $160. I feel like if they had a 2 or 3 month plan that would be better cause I don't think people will go over Micro for 6 months especially if the total hours of videos are 10 hrs only.

In the end it's down to personal preference I would say.
But still First Aid covers all the info both these provided and more.

I so totally agree with you regarding the time required to go through them and the length of course offered at their website. I think I'll go with sketchy micro because rote memorisation of FA micro just isn't my thing. Thanks for your input :)

I so totally agree with you regarding the time required to go through them and the length of course offered at their website. I think I'll go with sketchy micro because rote memorisation of FA micro just isn't my thing. Thanks for your input :)

You're welcome

Reactions: 1 user