LGBT Affirmative Action

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medico o Muerte

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm asking this for a friend who is LGBT. I was advising him on medical school applications and I thought maybe he can mention his sexuality and his struggles to overcome it in a diversity essay. He is also Hispanice, but does being gay equate to being a URM? I mean, I learned in my health disparities class that LGBT individuals suffer from a unique set of their own health care issues and are underreppresented in the medical profession. He also has experience working with HIV/AIDS populations and my schools chapter of the Gay Straight Alliance (or something like that). Would this advantage of his unique experiences and sexuality possibly outweigh the risk of being discriminated against because of his sexuality?

Members don't see this ad.

LGBT are not URM but diversity comes in many guises and it is a suitable topic for a diversity essay. The adcom at my school has had many LGBT physicians serving on it over the years and discrimination against LGBT applicants really hasn't been an issue at all. YMMV

Reactions: 3 users
I'm asking this for a friend who is LGBT. I was advising him on medical school applications and I thought maybe he can mention his sexuality and his struggles to overcome it in a diversity essay. He is also Hispanice, but does being gay equate to being a URM? I mean, I learned in my health disparities class that LGBT individuals suffer from a unique set of their own health care issues and are underreppresented in the medical profession. He also has experience working with HIV/AIDS populations and my schools chapter of the Gay Straight Alliance (or something like that). Would this advantage of his unique experiences and sexuality possibly outweigh the risk of being discriminated against because of his sexuality?

A sizable proportion of our pool is composed of LGBTQ applicants who are out and open about their identities and experiences. It's not particularly noteworthy these days (and for that I am grateful).

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A sizable proportion of our pool is composed of LGBTQ applicants who are out and open about their identities and experiences. It's not particularly noteworthy these days (and for that I am grateful).
The way it should be. Unimportant positively or negatively. Like if you like chocolate cake or carrot cake.

Reactions: 1 users
His ECs are a major positive. He's walked the walk, not merely talked the talk.