LiAlH4 help~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

joonkimdds

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I believe that LiAlH4 can change
aldehyde, COOH, ester into primary alcohol and
ketone into 2ndary alcohol.

Beside these, I don't understand what else it does.

In roadmap2, there are two reactions that have LiAlH4 and they are none of what I wrote above.

First one is...
a ring-CH2N3 and the product is a ring-CH2-NH2.
(I don't even know how N3 exist. is it CH2-N-N-N?)

second one is
a ring-NH-COCH3 and the product is a ring-NH-CH2-CH3.
 
I believe that LiAlH4 can change
aldehyde, COOH, ester into primary alcohol and
ketone into 2ndary alcohol.

Beside these, I don't understand what else it does.

In roadmap2, there are two reactions that have LiAlH4 and they are none of what I wrote above.

First one is...
a ring-CH2N3 and the product is a ring-CH2-NH2.
(I don't even know how N3 exist. is it CH2-N-N-N?)

second one is
a ring-NH-COCH3 and the product is a ring-NH-CH2-CH3.

LiAlH4 is reduction agent, ask yourself what is the meaning of reduction? It means gaining "H" or loosing "O"( I don't go for gaining electron here) then you will find out what is going on.
 
Hopefully this helps: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/30/LAH_rxns.png
The N3 thing might be a typo. I've never seen that either. An N2 group is called a diazonium if I recall correctly...
For the second example I'm pretty sure and ester would be reduced to an alcohol. That's what it shows on that link I put above at least...

Thanks for the link 🙂
by the way N3 is not a typo because your link shows it too 😀
So I guess I can just memorize N3 from your link.

But I am still not sure what the 2nd example is.
it's not in the link either.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The N3 is drawn out like this

N=N=N and there are charges obviously it is really only used to then be reduced to N=N and i believe it it is done with LiAlH4 in ET2O.