Liberal Studies or Bio major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chet Rogers

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to change my major, since, my school stopped offering clinical lab sciences. I am stuck between bio or liberal studies with majority of classes in sciences. If I choose ls, I can pick the sciences I want, but bio would be a better degree to fall back on. My advisor don't have any insight, just want to know your takes.

Members don't see this ad.

What would be more helpful just in case you don't get into med school?

What would you prefer to do, what are you most interested in?

Personally I very much enjoyed Biology, except ecology and plants, so that is why I chose to be a biology major.

The thing is I enjoy a wide variety of things. I'm not enthusied with ecology and plants either, but I love history, business, and sciences. Maybe I should do ls and minor in business management or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
What was your major before? Clinical lab sciences? If it were me, and I could no longer get the major I wanted at my uni, I would transfer to a diff school.

Transferring to another school is a bad idea for a couple of reasons. First, some of your courses will NOT transfer for credit. Sometimes the lack of transferability (I made this word up--you like it?) borders on the absurd: when I transferred to UT Austin, my upper-division biology courses transferred for credit, but my freshman biology coursework did not. Makes perfect sense, doesn't it? In many cases, transfer students have to log an additional year just to take the classes that failed to transfer. An extra year means more money out of your pocket and one less year of income as a physician (which might translate into $200,000+ of lost income). Second, you may transfer to a school where you don't know anybody. The solitude can really suck ass.

My best advice is for you to take the shortest possible route to graduation day. Whichever major will enable you to graduate faster is the wise choice. Remember: if you feel like you need to broaden your educational horizon, you can always take more electives. Since you have a lot of science courses under your belt, your best bet is most likely the biology degree; there's probably a significant degree of overlap, in terms of classes, between the clinical science and basic biology degrees. There's another possibility: does your school allow students to create their own majors? If so, that would be a great option for you.

The creating my own degree would be liberal studies. The biology degree doesn't much overlap besides biochem and genetics. Transferring is out of the question, because I like getting paid 1300$ a semster to go to school. I'm leaning towards liberal studies and picking the sciences I will enjoy. Liberal studies would not give me a good deal of security looking for job versus a bio degree. Arrg

plan A medschool
Plan B ???????
I would change school, or do what will help me the most if I was never accepted into medschool

just my $.50.....time does not really matter, read my sign..

Liberal studies... because you can always go to law school!

Hehe, sorry. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by liberal studies... for the program I am in, that involves a highly directed major that involves great books seminars. If that is what you mean, do it... the classes make you think and, if nothing else, help you rock the Verbal.

If it refers to a self-created major in which you would choose to do mainly science then just complete the straightforward major.

Good luck.