License by Credential

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalkid428

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I know for a lot of states they have similar criteria for this License by credential, which in essence is that if you have worked for X amount of hours for the last 5 years before applying, they will grant you a dental license in that state. I was wondering if anyone is more familiar with the process of applying to get a license using this method. I ask because I am undecided on whether I want to take the CDCA exam since I plan on living in a state where PGY-1 is accepted. Has anyone on here practiced in one state for 5 years and moved to another state and received this license by credential? Any information on this topic would be greatly appreciated!

thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone,

I know for a lot of states they have similar criteria for this License by credential, which in essence is that if you have worked for X amount of hours for the last 5 years before applying, they will grant you a dental license in that state. I was wondering if anyone is more familiar with the process of applying to get a license using this method. I ask because I am undecided on whether I want to take the CDCA exam since I plan on living in a state where PGY-1 is accepted. Has anyone on here practiced in one state for 5 years and moved to another state and received this license by credential? Any information on this topic would be greatly appreciated!

thank you!
It is extremely state specific. I have not gone through the process, but because I took the Canadian exam instead of a “live patient” exam in the states, I did a ton of research on it to make sure it was something I could afford to do (in terms of opportunity, not actual cost). If you are going to become licensed via the PGY-1 pathway, know that there are some states who will not give you a license (by credential or otherwise) no matter what because you did not take an exam on a patient. You have to go to each state dental board website and read their laws and policies in order to figure out which states will and will not allow it.
The CDCA will get you a license in the most amount of states, but it is the inferior process out of the two. I chose to take a non-patient based exam and I have not regretted it one bit. My vote is for you to do PGY-1.

Reactions: 1 user
It is extremely state specific. I have not gone through the process, but because I took the Canadian exam instead of a “live patient” exam in the states, I did a ton of research on it to make sure it was something I could afford to do (in terms of opportunity, not actual cost). If you are going to become licensed via the PGY-1 pathway, know that there are some states who will not give you a license (by credential or otherwise) no matter what because you did not take an exam on a patient. You have to go to each state dental board website and read their laws and policies in order to figure out which states will and will not allow it.
The CDCA will get you a license in the most amount of states, but it is the inferior process out of the two. I chose to take a non-patient based exam and I have not regretted it one bit. My vote is for you to do PGY-1.
thank you so much for your input,
I already read on the different requirements state by state. What I am mainly concerned with is the difficulty in obtaining this license via credentials. I know not all states accept this method but a majority do, If I qualify for this license by credential would it be difficult to obtain said license?

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you so much for your input,
I already read on the different requirements state by state. What I am mainly concerned with is the difficulty in obtaining this license via credentials. I know not all states accept this method but a majority do, If I qualify for this license by credential would it be difficult to obtain said license?
I would actually disagree with you that the majority accept it (“it” being a license by credential w/ an original license via PGY-1). All states have some sort of licensing by credential, but not a lot will allow you through with a PGY-1. A lot of them specify that you need a licensing exam taken on a patient for your original license... and that would disqualify you right from the beginning if your original license is by PGY-1. It is usually in the fine print of the policy. Looking at the application sometimes doesn’t give you enough info. The benefit of licensing by credential is usually more about different regional patient-based exams than it is about completely different pathways (meaning, it benefits someone who took WREB, but wants to go to a CRDTS state. Not so much someone who did PGY-1 and then wants to go to a WREB-only state).
However, if you do find a state that accepts it or leaves a grey enough area for you to get past that point, as long as you fulfill the rest of the requirements, it would not be difficult for you to obtain a license by that pathway.

Last edited:
I would actually disagree with you that the majority accept it (“it” being a license by credential w/ an original license via PGY-1). All states have some sort of licensing by credential, but not a lot will allow you through with a PGY-1. A lot of them specify that you need a licensing exam taken on a patient for your original license... and that would disqualify you right from the beginning if your original license is by PGY-1. It is usually in the fine print of the policy. Looking at the application sometimes doesn’t give you enough info. The benefit of licensing by credential is usually more about different regional patient-based exams than it is about completely different pathways (meaning, it benefits someone who took WREB, but wants to go to a CRDTS state. Not so much someone who did PGY-1 and then wants to go to a WREB-only state).
However, if you do find a state that accepts it or leaves a grey enough area for you to get past that point, as long as you fulfill the rest of the requirements, it would not be difficult for you to obtain a license by that pathway.
Thank you soo much, this is exactly the information I wanted to confirm. I did come across this information for each individual state, most as you say do require that you have to had passed some sort of live patient exam. Once again thank you for the input it was a huge help!