License by Credential

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KatieJune

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know which states will license foreign trained dentists who are currently licensed in another state in the U.S. by credentials? I know Louisiana and Vermont will license a foreign trained dentist if they have been licensed at least 1 year in another state. And California will license after 5 years of licensure in another state. This is all without any additional education - just passing the national and regional boards. Any other states that offer this? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

No, no states will allow you to get licensure by credential unless you have your basic dental degree from an accredited program (eg. US or Canadian). If you are a FTD with a license in one state, you won't be able.

That's not true. Though most of the states still require us to have DDS/DMD form ADA accredited schools, there are some states where we can get license by credentials. Three states and the U.S. Virgin Islands do not currently grant licensure by credentials: Delaware, Florida, Hawaii..Even if you have DDS/DMD.
The states where you can get licesene by credentials without DDS/DMD typically are the same states where they give license after minimum 2 year specialty training in ADA accredited schools. Louisiana needs green card or citizenship of USA to grant license.

Arizona
Connecticut
California
Georgia
Illinois
Louisiana
Mississippi.
North Dakota
Oregon
Tennessee
Texas.
Utah
Virginia.
Vermont
Washington

I am currently working on to get some more information. I am very positive about Louisinana, CA, Vermont, North Dakota and Arizona. I have personally verified with the respective dental boards. Rest of the states I mentioned above, I am not sure, please verify.

Members don't see this ad :)
good info. I am especially interested in knowing about oregon and Washington. They both say that you cannot be licensed by credential unless you have a DDS, but I know someone who did get licensed in WA. I'm wondering if you get a different response when you actually apply - hate to waste the money though.

Please let me know what else you find and I'll do the same. Thanks!

That's not true. Though most of the states still require us to have DDS/DMD form ADA accredited schools, there are some states where we can get license by credentials. Three states and the U.S. Virgin Islands do not currently grant licensure by credentials: Delaware, Florida, Hawaii..Even if you have DDS/DMD.
The states where you can get licesene by credentials without DDS/DMD typically are the same states where they give license after minimum 2 year specialty training in ADA accredited schools. Louisiana needs green card or citizenship of USA to grant license.

Arizona
Connecticut
California
Georgia
Illinois
Louisiana
Mississippi.
North Dakota
Oregon
Tennessee
Texas.
Utah
Virginia.
Vermont
Washington

I am currently working on to get some more information. I am very positive about Louisinana, CA, Vermont, North Dakota and Arizona. I have personally verified with the respective dental boards. Rest of the states I mentioned above, I am not sure, please verify.
hello!
can you tell me more about this? I live in CT and I am a foreign trained dentist, and I would love to do a postgraduate program in endo instead of the Advanced standing...
thank you

hi guys...
sorry..if i sound silly..but its confused me..does it mean..u can practise dentistry even witout doing adv standing program in certain places????just by giving nbde 1 and the state license exam???
or am i getting it wrong?????
pls do reply and clear my confusion even though its sounding silly...
im a foreign trained dentist wit a green card..and hubby and me are open to moving to a new place if they r accepting only license tests...
take care..
pinky

u can practise dentistry even witout doing adv standing program in certain places????just by giving nbde 1 and the state license exam???
Technically that's true. But, you cannot take regional licensing exam ( WREB, CRDTS etc) unless you do DDS/DMD from ADA approved school or the state dental board must write to regional licensing exam board granting permission to take their exam. Now the question is in what circumstances state dental board will give permission to take licensing exam, without having DDS/DMD ? Minnesota on case by case reviews and approves some applications and allows you to take licensing exam. Some other states (Texas, Arizona etc ) allow you take regional licensing exam if you do a minimum of 2 year recognized specialty training in ADA approved schools.

are you 100 % sure that in the state of Florida after a 2 years ADA recognized specialty program you are not able to take the state boards and get a license????
?????
??

what I've been referring to is people who ALREADY have their licenses and got them without any advanced standing program (such as when the bench was open in California). There are no states that license like this any more, but for those who already have their licenses any more info on states where they can move and get licensed by credentials?

anyone know about Washington?

That’s not true. Though most of the states still require us to have DDS/DMD form ADA accredited schools, there are some states where we can get license by credentials. Three states and the U.S. Virgin Islands do not currently grant licensure by credentials: Delaware, Florida, Hawaii..Even if you have DDS/DMD.

I think you've got your info wrong. No state will grant you a dental license by credential if you are a foreign-trained dentist without a US dental degree. Sure, you may be allowed to sit a clinical board exam that is administered by a regional board (e.g. SRTA) but that exam result will only be valid for that state only. i.e. Your dental license is only for that state and if you decide to move to another state, you will have to ask the state for a permission to take a new clinical board exam. Licensure by credential means you are granted a licensure WITHOUT an exam. Like you said Delaware, Florida and California are among the handful who don't give licensure by credential to anyone including the US trained dentists. However, if you are a FTD and have California dental license, don't expect Virginia or Texas dental board to give you a licensure based on credentials. You will have to satisfy their separate requirements (unlike the regular US trained dentists who will have to prove their 5 years of practice). What the OP was asking was licensure by credentials, NOT whether or not FTDs can take clinical board exams after completing certain ADA-accredited clinical programs.

Does anyone know how to go about obtaining a temporary/restricted license in florida if you're looking to work in an underserved area? HELP

I am confused your answern. I think maybe it is possible by credential.

For example, if you finished your specialty training (3 years) without a U.S. DDS, you can take WREB Clinical exam and get the license of Texas. Then you worked in Texas for several years, you moved to washinton state, which have similar requirement for international trained dentist (2 years or more specialty training). so maybe you also can get license from washinton. at least it is not necessary for you take WREB clinical exam again.

please correct me.

thank

I think you've got your info wrong. No state will grant you a dental license by credential if you are a foreign-trained dentist without a US dental degree. Sure, you may be allowed to sit a clinical board exam that is administered by a regional board (e.g. SRTA) but that exam result will only be valid for that state only. i.e. Your dental license is only for that state and if you decide to move to another state, you will have to ask the state for a permission to take a new clinical board exam. Licensure by credential means you are granted a licensure WITHOUT an exam. Like you said Delaware, Florida and California are among the handful who don't give licensure by credential to anyone including the US trained dentists. However, if you are a FTD and have California dental license, don't expect Virginia or Texas dental board to give you a licensure based on credentials. You will have to satisfy their separate requirements (unlike the regular US trained dentists who will have to prove their 5 years of practice). What the OP was asking was licensure by credentials, NOT whether or not FTDs can take clinical board exams after completing certain ADA-accredited clinical programs.

Last edited:
Why this proccess had become so confusing? What a foreign graduate can do to get license to practice if he/she does not want to go sit in the third year dental school ? Please help !