10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2008
Medical Student
I apologize if this has been answered as I can't find a clear answer.

Do we need a state medical license as a PGY2-5 during rads residency? On UC Davis Rads website, it says all residents need a full CA license by end of PGY2.
Yet there was a post here on SDN where people in NY said you don't need a license at all as residents are exempt in that state... then in another thread a psych resident in NY said it was required for PGY2s. Argh lol. So much conflicting info. And Texas i know has a "physician in training permit."

Anyone know?


10+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2009
Attending Physician
This is 100% state specific. California does not have a training license, so you apply for permanent license once you are eligible. Other states have training licenses which you can keep until you graduate.
  • Like
Reactions: tobeatrev
About the Ads