License reciprocity questions...

Discussion in 'Pharmacy Licensure and Exams' started by brokentablet, Apr 1, 2011.

  1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. brokentablet


    Apr 1, 2011
    I'm currently licensed in SC. Am weighing my options to get licenses in 3 other states to make myself a more valuable employee to my company (and to give myself more options if I end up being laid off...). I am researching reciprocity and some questions came to mind. 4 to be exact:

    1. The words "transfer" and "reciprocate" seem to be used interchangeably.. The word "transfer" makes me think that I'm exchanging my license in SC for a license in another state... that's absolutely wrong... right?

    If I "reciprocate" I KEEP my license in SC and earn a license in another state as well, yes? I realize this may be a crazy question.. but I refuse to pay hundreds of dollars on something without clearing any doubts. (score transfer when I took the naplex originally was not financially possible at the time)

    2.Also if this is true, then I must "maintain" my SC license. Does this mean that I cannot let my SC license be inactive?

    3. If I go ahead with all this, I would have licenses in 4 states. Is this manageable? thoughts?

    4. Can you use CE for credit for more than one state? OR must I finish CE credits for each individual state?

    Again, I realize these questions may seem stupid. I've recently been licensed for the first time and I'm here for help, not criticism.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. johnep34

    johnep34 2+ Year Member

    May 9, 2009
    Thought you were the United States. Surely common sense that once you obtain your pharmacy licence, should be OK in every state. Only variation would perhaps be where State law different. The UK used to have reciprocity with the old empire (Canada, Australia, New Zealand), but since joining the EU, this has been stopped and now very difficult to transfer. However, a Romanian pharmacist with poor English is allowed to work in UK, no problem. Well yes there is, but until a patient dies, nothing happens.
    I was once told that a Canadian licence entitles you to work in any US state.
  4. dgroulx

    dgroulx Night Pharmacist 10+ Year Member

    All states grant reciprocity except California. You must pass the MPJE for each state, but you only take the NAPLEX once. You pay a fee to transfer through a clearing house and they check for felonies, etc and make sure your license is clear. After those two things, you pay the license fee for the state where you want to practice.

    You must fulfill the CE renewal requirements for each state. I'm in Florida and we need 2 hours of medication error CEs. I am transferring to Washington and they need 7 hours of HIV. So, some CEs will be the same each renewal cycle, but you will most likely have to some specialized ones. The Washington HIV CEs will count as general CEs. Just check each state's board of pharmacy. I heard Georgia has a wet lab for licensing. You just need to be aware of anything extra each state requires.


  5. srisai8


    Apr 14, 2011

    I am a licensed pharmacist in Michigan.
    I am trying to reciprocate to Maryland.

    When i called the board of pharmacy,they told that i should have 520 hours of pharmacist experience in Michigan.

    I have already reciprocated to D.C.

    I have experience in D.C. as a pharmacist.

    But,the Mary land board does not consider my experience in d.c.

    I should work in MICHIGAN only.

    They said like that.

    Did anyone reciprocate to maryland?

    If so,
    Please help me.

    Post your situation and suggestions.

    Thanking you so much in advance,
  6. cherubtessie

    cherubtessie 2+ Year Member

    Mar 10, 2008
    I have the same question as question 3

  7. KARM12

    KARM12 Super Member 10+ Year Member

    Apr 4, 2006

    1. You still keep your SC license. Many pharmacists hold licenses in many states.

    2. Depends on the state you transfer to. Some states require that you maintain your original licensure and some do not care. My personal opinion is that you should always keep your original license in case you do need to reciprocate again in the future. This might be helpful, the NAPB transfer restrictions page:

    3. It is possible, but the hardest thing would be making sure you meet the CE requirements for all states. They usually are similar in the total amount of hrs, but some have certain criteria you must CEs, law CEs, Med safety CE, HIV CE, etc. Plus the time of year for renewal would vary, so it would require a lot of juggling. I know pharmacists that do it. I have licensure in 2 states currently.

    4. You can use the same hours as long as it fits the necessary criteria for CE.
  8. gsinccom

    gsinccom 7+ Year Member

    Sep 19, 2005
    Wasatch Front
    Hi all,

    I finished residency last month but the job I was planning to start didn't work out. So, I'm looking into jobs and therefore licensure in different states. The area I'm in now is pretty saturated and I don't think I want to live in another part of this state so I'll likely be leaving the state. I'll probably move back to my home state, at least for the time being. However, I'm not licensed there or in any other states. Anyone have any suggestions on the quickest and most economical way to handle the job search and licensure process.

    1-Do I really need to do CEs and pay to maintain my original licensure as I may likely never practice in this state?

    2-Many jobs say you already need to be licensed in the state to apply. Is this true? Am I think really expected to go through the licensure process and pay all the fees and take the state's MPJE all w/o a job offer?

    3-Can CE be counted for multiple states not including if a state has a specific requirement (i.e., Immunizations or specific state law, etc.)?

    Any wisdom you can share would be appreciated! Thank you!
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  9. All4MyDaughter

    All4MyDaughter SDN Mommystrator Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor 10+ Year Member

    Only your original license can be reciprocated, so you'll need to maintain it forever. You can use CE in multiple states as far as I know.
  10. gsinccom

    gsinccom 7+ Year Member

    Sep 19, 2005
    Wasatch Front
    Thanks for the insight. I also received the below pdf and quoted response from NABP. Anyone know what happens if I choose not to maintain original licensure and am OK initially but then later on end up in a state that requires it? Will I have to pay fees? Retake the NAPLEX? Also, any other wisdom on my original Questions? Thank you

    "Thank you for your inquiry. It is recommended that you keep your original license active - in the event that you choose to reciprocate to a state that requires the original to be active as the basis for transfer. However, the choice is yours. Thank you."
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  11. Addiaidan


    Jan 11, 2012
    I want to find out how to reciprocate my license from PA to Washington. My NAPLEX score was from more than 10 years ago. Is that still valid to transfer? Anyone knows how to get those 7 HIV credits for the state? Is the process very lengthy?
  12. Oren

    Oren Banned

    Dec 1, 2011
    Yes your score should be valid. There is no time frame where you must transfer your score

Share This Page