Licensing in a state you will never practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuronic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I will be starting a two year post-doc fellowship at a VA later this year and would like to become licensed as soon as possible to start accruing licensed experience in hopes of becoming GS-13 eligible straight out of post-doc. However, the state I am in (CA) has some lengthy wait times, and I am not sure if can get licensed in my first year, though will definitely try to have everything in place. I have heard from some various faculty that one could apply to get licensed through another state with less wait times and requirements (e.g., Alabama), which would serve the same purpose of being licensed for one year in the eyes of the government. Has anyone done this, not necessarily Alabama, but sought licensure in a state where you will likely never work for a government job.

Members don't see this ad.

Seems to happen quite frequently in the VA, largely for the exact reasons you've mentioned. Kansas and Alabama are the two states I've heard used most often in this context.

I'm actually in the process of doing this myself, although I'm not quite as far along as I'd like to be with it.

Hi. I will be starting a two year post-doc fellowship at a VA later this year and would like to become licensed as soon as possible to start accruing licensed experience in hopes of becoming GS-13 eligible straight out of post-doc. However, the state I am in (CA) has some lengthy wait times, and I am not sure if can get licensed in my first year, though will definitely try to have everything in place. I have heard from some various faculty that one could apply to get licensed through another state with less wait times and requirements (e.g., Alabama), which would serve the same purpose of being licensed for one year in the eyes of the government. Has anyone done this, not necessarily Alabama, but sought licensure in a state where you will likely never work for a government job.

I got licensed in Hawaii while at the V.A. in Texas.. it is only $50 to be licensed there and requires no jurisprudence! Plus, it only took me around 2 weeks to have my application for first-time licensure approved!!

Last edited: