10+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2008
Resident [Any Field]
I was wondering if anyone with experience in applying for a dental license by credential could clear up some questions I had about the process...

I will complete an orthodontics residency in three years in the northeast and would like to move out west as soon as possible, but have not done a GPR or AEGD and have not taken any clinical licensure exams. According to the California board of dentistry to get a license by credential you need:
Proof that the applicant has either been in active clinical
practice or has been a full-time faculty member in an accredited
dental education program and in active clinical practice for a total
of at least 5,000 hours in five of the seven consecutive years
immediately preceding the date of his or her application under this
section. The clinical practice requirement shall be deemed met if
documentation of any of the following is submitted:
(A) The applicant may receive credit for two of the five years of
clinical practice by demonstrating completion of a residency training
program accredited by the American Dental Association Commission on
Dental Accreditation, including, but not limited to, a general
practice residency, an advanced education in general dentistry
program, or a training program in a specialty recognized by the
American Dental Association.
So, once I complete my accredited orthodontics program, does that mean I will have to work in New York (which accepts completion of a specialty program for licensure) for three years, having been given two years credit for completing a residency, before I can work in California? Keep in mind I would like to avoid taking any clinical boards. Thanks for any info in advance.