Quantcast

Licensure in CA for DO patholgists.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pxjx

Reaction score
Hey does anyone know anything about PGY-1s getting licensure in CA. I am D.O. and based on the application I looked at on Osteopathic Medical Board of California, it states that you have to do 4 months of general medicine to be licensed in CA. I know path programs do not do any rotations in general medicine, so does anyone know how this works? Any suggestions/answers would be helpful. Thanks

MedPsy82

Just a Thought
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unless something has changed from the last time I looked at it, Resolution 42 (I believe) should be able to help with that. If I remember correctly, being in Pathology you can obtain PGY-1 statues by filling out the AOA application for Res 42 and be granted it as long as you meet some requirements (one being completed residency already or are so far along and maintain good standing AOA membership through the process. don't quote me though :D). There was a discussion somewhere in the DO Medical Student forum about this.

EDIT: Found this doing a search, it's from 2008 though.

Proposed Core Curriculum for Approved OGME -1 Training Year: Effective July 1, 2008

From this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=844703&highlight=Resolution+42

Hope this helps some

Last edited:

pxjx

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I looked through everything and I am not sure I got the answer I was seeking, partly because maybe I was not clear. I called the Osteopathic Medical Board of California and they told me what the AOA requires is separate from what they require. Since CA is the one granting your license, they have their own requirements (you must have 4 months of general medicine in your PGY-1 yr). I don't know how that is possible, since most your PGY-1 in path is spent in AP. Obviously it is done somehow because there are programs who have DO residents. Is there anyone here that went through this process and willing to chime in? It would be much appreciated. Also FYI resolution 42 guidelines for approved PGY-1 for path has changed since 2008.
Curriculum for Approved OGME -1 Training Year
Effective July 1, 2011

Pathology – 1st Year Requirement
-3 months of general internal medicine -1 month of hematology and oncology -2 months of general surgery
-1 month of obstetrics and gynecology -3 months of family medicine

-1 month of pathology -1 month elective.

MedPsy82

Just a Thought
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I looked through everything and I am not sure I got the answer I was seeking, partly because maybe I was not clear. I called the Osteopathic Medical Board of California and they told me what the AOA requires is separate from what they require. Since CA is the one granting your license, they have their own requirements (you must have 4 months of general medicine in your PGY-1 yr). I don't know how that is possible, since most your PGY-1 in path is spent in AP. Obviously it is done somehow because there are programs who have DO residents. Is there anyone here that went through this process and willing to chime in? It would be much appreciated. Also FYI resolution 42 guidelines for approved PGY-1 for path has changed since 2008.
Effective July 1, 2011

-3 months of general internal medicine -1 month of hematology and oncology -2 months of general surgery

Ah, my mistake.

I was thinking that it was possible that the medical board could possibly honor the resolution in leu of the requirements, like the AOA does for intern year.

Only thing I can think of is to talk to a resident program of interest and asking them if it is possible to complete those requirements somehow while going through their program, hopefully some will be able to chime in that has done this as you have said.

KCShaw

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
That just sounds like a general intern year. I know California and Texas still like to think of themselves as their own little republics -- who needs state rights when you can be your own republic? At any rate, taking Australia as an example, one does have to do a true general "internship" year there, too, with somewhat similar requirements -- but they have gotten away with having a longer postgraduate training cycle by historically having 6 year medical schools which skip the U.S. style graduate degree pre-requisite, generally paying interns and residents much much better, and dramatically lower med student loan debt. It's relatively common for someone to be a "resident" or "registrar" for quite a few years before going through all the steps to become a fully qualified attending. There's also a bit of a cultural difference there. I don't know what California's excuse is -- nor whether they really intend everyone who ever works there to have done their version of a general internship. It's actually not a bad concept, but rather impractical if they're the only ones doing it.

tspath84

Reaction score
Effective July 1, 2011

I've also seen the updated Resolution 42 guidelines and this makes me wonder too about the approval for Pathology. This is showing a general intern year, which we all know is not required for Pathology, and there aren't any Osteopathic Pathology programs to compare to. I did email the AOA for clarification, and got response back saying that as long as I successfully completed year 1, attend an educational conference, remain a member of the AOA during the process and apply through Res. 42, I should be fine. They review pathology programs differently than other allopathic programs. I'm only concerned for this since I'm going to want to practice in FL in the future (1 of the 4 states requiring an AOA intern year). Anyone else have further insight, please inform. Thanks!

pxjx

Reaction score
Thanks for all who provided comments. So it looks like you only have to deal with resolution 42 if you are going to practice in those 4 states that require an osteopathic intern year ( sorry tspath84). Seems like each state has their own requirements for licensure. Most states don't seem to make a big deal about it. You basically apply and granted you have no felonies or prior ethical entanglements you are golden. Of course their the ones that think their freaking special (ca, tx, fl, etc) and make the process more cumbersome.