Licensure pass rate vs Costs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helloteenah

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide how to choose a school based on costs and percentage of pass rate on licensure exams.

Taken from APTA.org
For instance:
University of South Alabama appears to reasonably affordable along with a lenient policy to reclassify for in-state tuition.
"85% of graduating students pass the licensure exam on the first attempt (3-year average)."

University of Alabama at Birmingham is more expensive than USA with no in-state tuition reclassification for non-residents.
"Over the same time period 92% have passed the licensure examination."

And I'll throw Elon University in for comparison:
Much more expensive than the previous two schools mentioned.
"96.1% of all graduates passed the licensure exam (3 year average)."

Is there another website besides APTA to gather data on passing rates? Some schools do not list their passing rate on APTA or the school's website.

Any insight is appreciated. I know most people advocate for a cheaper education.

Members don't see this ad.

Is the FSBPT information the same as on the APTA website?
Here is a link: http://www.fsbpt.org/ForCandidatesAndLicensees/NPTE/PassRates/index.asp

If you are deciding on a program based on pass rate, I would call each respective school if the students are provided with a professional review course before sitting for licensure exam, or if students are on their own to review. (Either way you can still take one of these courses but it is on your own time and $$.)
Just like with any mandatory standardized testing, some places may 'teach for the test' rather than teach and emphasize what you need to learn. There is apparently a market for schools who have a high pass rate, but how do you measure the quality of the education? (Rhetorical question).