PhD/PsyD Licensure with criminal record

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mellitus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much does having a criminal record affect your chances to become licensed as a clinical psychologist?

I have a misdemeanor of selling alcohol to a minor from when I was working as a bartender. He used a fake ID and I did not recognize it. I cannot get it expunged due to the age I was when it happened (23). I know it will vary state to state but I would hate to go through a PHD program only to not get licensed because of this.

Members don't see this ad.

Will vary by state. Non-violent misdemeanor convictions that happen prior to appplication for licensure are not a barrier in my state.

Like erg said, it'll vary by state. You can read the individual statutes to determine what do and do not constitute disqualifying convictions, although I'd be surprised if yours was considered as such just about anywhere (misdemeanors usually don't seem to be). Odds are, you'll probably just have to explain what happened in a written statement when applying for licensure and then go from there.