lorteerapong

5+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2012
Status
I need guidance

Here is my current situation –

This will be my second year applying to DPT programs both in and out of state. Between the two cycles, I have not been able to improve my application the way I would like to have. Unfortunately for the past 5 months my focus has been managing a commercial gym, however, I realized that career path was not for me.

Now, I look to return to my roots of physical therapy. However, as I look into PTCAS with almost an identical application other than additional outpatient observation hours, and management/business experience I am discouraged to see that the deadline is so close.

I would like to be able to retake my GRE(maybe possible within this cycle) as well as retake a chemistry course to make my application more competitive, however that would require an additional year before I can reapply.

Another option that I am considering is to enroll in PTA school. Given I am accepted, I will be able to begin my career in physical therapy sooner, steady income, less debt, however with less upside as well.

Option 1. Apply to DPT programs this year with an almost identical application last year. The only differences are additional outpatient work experience and management/business experience and possibly an updated GRE score. Then retake chemistry and the GRE and apply again the following year, given I did not get in the previous cycle

Option 2. Pursue PTA school

Statistics

Age – 25

CSULB – Kinesiology/Exercise Science

GPA – Overall 3.55/prereq 3.2

GRE – 4.5/155Q/152V

Hours – 700+ combined inpatient/outpatient

Last edited:

Grizzlyman

2+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2015
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Cost of becoming a PTA 3 - 4k. (Should be able to work while in school)

Cost of private PT school about 100k. With interest and 10 year repayment it will be about 140k. Payments will be 1200 per month which is about 14.5k per year.

Conservatively PTs make 25k more per year than PTAs. After taxes (1/3) the difference is about 17k per year.

17k - 14.5k = 2.5k more per year for the first 10 years if you are PT. This is about $200 more per month. After 10 years you will make 17k more per year if you are a PT.

Last edited:

tonydo93

2+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
I need guidance

Here is my current situation –

This will be my second year applying to DPT programs both in and out of state. Between the two cycles, I have not been able to improve my application the way I would like to have. Unfortunately for the past 5 months my focus has been managing a commercial gym, however, I realized that career path was not for me.

Now, I look to return to my roots of physical therapy. However, as I look into PTCAS with almost an identical application other than additional outpatient observation hours, and management/business experience I am discouraged to see that the deadline is so close.

I would like to be able to retake my GRE(maybe possible within this cycle) as well as retake a chemistry course to make my application more competitive, however that would require an additional year before I can reapply.

Another option that I am considering is to enroll in PTA school. Given I am accepted, I will be able to begin my career in physical therapy sooner, steady income, less debt, however with less upside as well.

Option 1. Apply to DPT programs this year with an almost identical application last year. The only differences are additional outpatient work experience and management/business experience and possibly an updated GRE score. Then retake chemistry and the GRE and apply again the following year, given I did not get in the previous cycle

Option 2. Pursue PTA school

Statistics

Age – 25

CSULB – Kinesiology/Exercise Science

GPA – Overall 3.55/prereq 3.2

GRE – 4.5/155Q/152V

Hours – 700+ combined inpatient/outpatient
I'm very surprised that you weren't accepted anywhere. Your GRE is pretty good, and your cum GPA is right below average. Your pre req is a little on the low end, but i've seen worse stats than yours get accepted. I wonder what it is?

Last edited:

starrsgirl

7+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2010
Status
Physical Therapist
Your application isn't too bad...I think the problem will be the amount of focus school's give to your last year for reapplicants. In other words, if you didn't get in the first time, they really want to see that you stayed committed to the PT track. That may be a little hard to push in your case. If it were me, I wouldn't even bother retaking that GRE. Your score is great. The only big negative I'm seeing is your pre req GPA. It's not the worse, but are there any red flags? Maybe you have 2 Cs and schools only accept 1. Or maybe you did poorly in your most recent pre reqs. Or didn't do well in Anatomy. The answer might lie somewhere in there.

Did you get any interviews last year? If no, I think the GPA is the problem. If you did, and then didn't get in, I would re focus on personal statement, references and interview techniques.